FEOA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They sure are fun dude. I mean it took like 2 hours to get it ready to pull (all in all 5 hours, but unloading it into the shop, drinkin a beer, smoking a cig, takes time ya know)

Ok, so I have a pot of coffee ready, and I know this is gonna take a while.....

It all started last summer,

As you can obviously tell, it's been sitting for a while....

The original powerplant (The one I got my 'new' head from after I snapped a cam... Keep reading...err... looking!)

Big plans.... for a car that doesn't even run yet!!

More pics up tonight after I get back. I'm gonna go ahead and post the pics I have on here, that way you can get the full experience without opening a new window/tab.

Some random interior/exterior pics...

[hr]
How many people still have theirs...?

Before any work...

Got the hood off

Had to grind a bolt to get the hood off....dammit....

Removed hardware.... You can see all the battery tray and everything from the intake, removed....

[hr]
Remember to practice safety when working on cars from underneath. Remember to use your jack stands, never rely on JUST a jack to support the cars weight... shit happens.

All empty

Spindles removed,

Mark the distributor should you remove it, I scored mine for easy re-installation.

[hr]
Mac, the gentleman that is helping with the build.

Other side

Looks like a leak from the VC or worse... the head....

Further out view...

Progress as of 10 pm last night.

[hr]
Gets shit done!

Cam gear cover removed, thinkin about polishing the face on the cam gears.

Interior again

[hr]

By the time I left -

DEATHSCORT!!!

· Registered
771 Posts
congrats, none of your picture work lmfao

· Registered
771 Posts
so, what, are you swapping everything from one car to the other, or just building the gt?

· Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We shall call it.... Rebirth...of the GT. Anyways, The guy also has a KLDE in the corner of his shop, possibly talk him out of it and put it in the black car.

· Registered
771 Posts
hey one bright side to having an oil leak is rust proofing wherever it lands hahaha

· Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey everyone, we got the engine pulled, trans pulled off, swapping it onto an Auto engine (4 wire TPS people, cmon) and putting it back in.

Here are the pics so far. Can't quite get the Torque Converter off, but he said he would go out there tomorrow and mess with it... No more broken bolts on this project, I won't have enough to put it back together :p. Pics in the morning, unless you remember my facebook link...

Later all!

***EDIT***

Mac called me early this morning and told me that he got the torque converter off, and that the crank side where the Flywheel bolts up looks different from the other one.

The one thing that is ringing true so far is that the auto is a later model engine therefore it has the different crank in it. Any takers on my theory? I would like any input as long as it's correct input!

· Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK PICS!

Got her hooked up

Remember your two engine mounts, (Drivers)

Passengers

And she's OUT

Look Ma, A flintstone-mobile! YABBA DABBA DOOOOOO

Rust isn't very bad at all, especially for an Illinois Car

BP05 on the Exhaust Heat shield

Drivebelt side of removed engine -

Backside of BP engine

Macs GT (very nice)

The trans before separating it

I look like I need a hug for petes sake....

This is where the starter goes.

See our little throwout bearing? It was still in decent shape, but always good to replace with new!

Pressure plate and clutch disc

The Automatic engine/trans that I wanted to install.... Crank is different so it seems to be a No-go without swapping cranks..

On my way out the door

· Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Haha NOOOOO! I'm taking an automatic engine and putting my manual Trans on it. Only problem with all this is, Mine is a 1991 which has a different crank, than a 92~-up crank, so I may have to swap cranks. I'm doing it for the 4 wire and all that.

· Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also, for shits and giggles, after I get the 1.8L put together, I'm buying a KLZE and gonna put THAT in my black car.

· Registered
1,100 Posts
the 91 has the short nose crank and the auto motor has the long nose I'm guessing, the flywheel should bolt on the only difference is the crank snout and pulley and timing gear. but just use the whole auto motor and use your flywheel after a machining with your new clutch that should work just fine man

· Registered
5,164 Posts
Having the early '91 engine with the short crank is not a big issue. It was more of a problem on the 1.6 in the Miatas, but due to technician in most cases caused the failure of the crank keyway. Removal of the crank bolt is not necessary to remove crank pulley and timing belt. If removed, ensure keyway is properly installed and torque properly to about 83 ftlbs. I have the short snout crank and have had no issues.

· Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm going with the short snout (92-up) engine with the 91 Trans, gonna make it work. I got to looking at stuff for a tune up, and DAMN, it was well over 200 bucks for EVERYTHING. That was pricing the less expensive stuff too.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.