FEOA Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I named my baby OJ.
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So hilariously out of our 3 vehicles the Ford is now the most reliable...well at least till about 4pm NYE.
Got a blow out right rear. Has Federal Super steel on the back, and some crap Geostar on the front.
Geostar fronts are pretty much gone, and now so is the right rear.
So that leaves only one good tire.
Maybe time to just get 4.

Anyone try the OHTSU FP7000's?
What's you favorite tire for these vehicles?

And oh yeah, stupid me, didn't check the spare etc after I started driving again.
There was no tire iron in the trunk, and no cell service.
Only option was stand on the highway waving my arms like a spaz nd luckily a tow truck stopped and helped me out.
Space saver spare was low on air, but luckily there was a pump in the trunk....which lasted about 3 minutes.
Made it home but had to wait till today to deal with the fracking tire issue.

Our other 2 cars also having problems....such a PIA and Oregon in winter...it just never stops raining and
cars outside it's killing them! Wife turned garage into a storage unit. Arrrgh.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
My favourite tires are cheap to free Craigslist ones. Even if they are on Honda, Toyota etc. rims I just bolt them on, in pairs of course.

However my snow tires had deep cracks in the sidewalls so failed in short order, and I had to put tubes in them.

·
Super Moderator
10,410 Posts
My local independent tire shop usually gets me Hankook or Khumo branded tires. There doesnt seem to be a huge variety for 13" and 14" rims around here, and I like them cheap. Typically get about 25,000 to 30,000 on them by which time they are close to the treadwear indicators or going out of balance due to carcass abuse - from the 'topes' on roads in Mexian towns.

·
Registered
281 Posts
The Discount Tire Sentury brand seems to be pretty good. I drive in Chicago and they seem to do decently year round. There are up to $46.00 a tire, I think they were under $30.00 a year ago.

·
I named my baby OJ.
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Well as I said, basically all but one tire is gone, and checked the mfg dates, all are 11-12 years old.
So it's tire time. Was really not wanting to spend the moola for 4 tires, but ended up ordering 4 VREDESTEIN QUATRAC 5's from
Tirerack using their credit company. So, actually so far haven't spent a penny. I'll pay 'em off ahead of time.
In the end it's gonna be $438 installed (338 + 100 install) but in the 9 or so years I've owned this car, haven't driven even
20K Miles so these will last 10 years or more, and technically you're not supposed to drive any set of tires more than 5-7 years old I read.
I'd hate to put shitty tires on any car just to save $100 over a many year period cursing yourself for shaviing corners in the wrong places.
Like being forced to wear an uncomfortable pair of shoes for 10 years.
I was looking at Nexens and yeah, the the Douglas tire from Wally World woulda been great, made by Goodyear I think, great deal(!) but the estimated ship receipt date was sometime in Feb and I'll be waiting a week as it is with the space saver spare on.
QUATRAC 5 is rated highly, and while we don't get much snow in town, we get it just outside of town, only 15 minutes away
and these are great in rain and even snow. Photo is 15 minutes away from the beach, ~2000 ft. Amazing.

Attachments

·
I named my baby OJ.
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
I named my baby OJ.
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Please post relevant Department of Motor Vehicle regulation. Unless, of course, this is merely what someone said, or what a tire retailer said.
As my wife says when I'm talking to her and she isn't listening to one word "I didn't memorize it".

·
Registered
15,440 Posts
technically you're not supposed to drive any set of tires more than 5-7 years old I read.
If you live someplace where it snows, as you already indicated, you most likely aren't getting enough UV to destroy a tire in that time frame. IMO. the 7 year rule is really for vehicles parked outside in the desert (like Arizona, New Mexico, Southern CA, etc.).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts