FEOA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe access on a first gen was good enough, since I did it several times on my 1985GT (1.6L engine). But on the newer 1.9L engines, and possibly others (probably more like everything from 1991 the crossmember gets in the way). Generally speaking, removing the transmission pan involves jacking up the engine/transmission and sometimes removing the front transmission mount bolt in the process. But even then, the crossmember still gets in the way somewhat. I was able to do it with a wrench and a regular ratchet. But if I had to do it again, I'd want some more tools.

I did happen to have a flexible extension, but it's really only of limited use. Specifically one of these:

I was wondering in anybody used any of these, and can you report back it's effectiveness:

Regular ratcheting wrench:

A flex ratcheting wrench:

A flex socket:

Or maybe a wobble extension (not pictures since it looks too much like a regular extension).

So I am curious as to how some of you might have gotton off some of those hard to get off transmission pan bolts (for those who did it with the crossmember still on).

·
Registered
195 Posts
The u-joints in the last pic are the only "special" tools i use. I tried using a ratcheting wrench before, but the pan wall is too close to the bolt head for the wrench to slip over it.

·
Registered
15,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
skaterbro said:
The u-joints in the last pic are the only "special" tools i use. I tried using a ratcheting wrench before, but the pan wall is too close to the bolt head for the wrench to slip over it.
I'm definately going to pick up a 10MM version of this next time I'm in Sears, seeing how so much of the car uses a 10MM socket anyway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts