FEOA Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok ive asked this question already i know i know but i lost the post (which one it is at least) and ive looked all over for it to no avail. so here it goes. what does the jumping the ten to the gnd do when your timing your car and is it important. I wanna know because mines been tampered with without doing that and i would like to know why you need to.

·
Registered
710 Posts
It's the equivalent of unhooking your battery without the hassle. This way, you reset the computer but get to keep your radio settings. It's used by the shop to put your computer into 'learning' mode.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've also been told that if you don't do this, your timing will be off. I say "I've been told this" because I just set my timing. When you set the timing (with the TEN grounded), the mark on the crank pulley should line up with the "10" mark on the plastic guide next to the pulley. If you don't ground the "TEN", the timing will be set about 10 degrees more, or 20 degrees prior to TDC. Unfortunately for me, I couldn't get the "TEN" to ground out (I don't know if I was just doing it wrong). What I did do though, was to just set the timing an additional 10 degrees less than what was required. In other words, as the pulley rotates (clockwise), you are supposed to set the timing at 10 degrees prior to TDC. That is at the "10" mark on the plastic guide. Since that distance is 10 degrees, I just set the timing the same distance more counter-clockwise. The car is running great now, so it seems to have worked.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts