FEOA Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Other than you need to run premium gas. Not really. Just make sure to listen for any pre-detonation. Easiest way to get a good set on the timing is to keep advancing the spark until it starts to ping while driving then back it off two degrees.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Spider-Man, if you still have the private message I sent you yesterday concerning the advanced timing, would you please copy the contents and post them here?

It's got the instructions/positives/drawbacks to advancing your timing.

Thanks.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I'm a few minutes away from advancing the timing by just playing by ear. The only question I have is I read somewhere that you need 18-22 GA wire for the jumper between TEN and GND, does it have to be that GA? Or can I just get some speaker wire or fm antennae wire?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Where did you hear that you need a certain gauge wire? It's amazing the amount of misinformation out there...

Monk, all you need is a paper clip. Just insert the ends into the TEN and GND terminals.

Here's a really brief instruction list:

1) Crank your car and let it warm up. This can be accomplished by letting your tank get nearly empty and then going out to the gas station and filling up with PREMIUM high octane fuel. If you get low octane this mod will NOT work.
2) Turn off car
3) Open diagnostic port under the hood near the driver's side mirror. Locate the TEN and GND terminals - it's printed on the inside top of the diagnostic port cover. Using a paper clip, jumper the two.
4) Locate distributor mounting bolts. Break loose, but leave somewhat tight.
5) Crank car.
6) Loosen distributor mounting bolts. Slowly turn distributor until engine sounds like it's speeding up. If you advance too much you will encounter detonation. This you will have to play by ear. Unless you remove your power steering belt and actually use a timing light to verify that you're at 16 degrees advanced.
7) Tighten mounting bolts.
8) Turn off car, remove jumper, close diagnostic port.
9) Recrank car and take for a short, gentle test drive. If you encounter detonation then you've gone too far and will have to repeat the procedure, using a less aggressive advance.

The benefits of advanced ignition timing are better fuel economy at higher speeds, as well as increased performance, again at the higher end of the rev range. Advancing timing usually degrades low end performance. Also make sure your distributor/plugs/wires are in top shape otherwise the benefits may not show.

I've heard good and bad about this mod. Works for some, and not for others. You just have to try it and see. It worked for me, had an old ram-air style setup. Used a vacuum cleaner collector mounted in the front bumper opening routing outside air behind front lip, behind wheel well up into the intake pipe. Advanced timing while travelling 70 mph is like a mini V6 pumping away underhood.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
ok i just sent my car to the shop to get it through deq well we got there and we were so close he told me that it was the timing so we brought it around backand they just loosened the bolts and adjusted the distrbuter... OK now to my question, why do you need to run the wire from the TEN to the GND in the diagnostic terminal? And what would it do if you didnt??? thanks for any info

·
Registered
735 Posts
Cool, thanks for the details, Zeemax. I did the mod instead of waiting for a reply to the post and it came out pretty good. I don't have an exact reading on it because I was too lazy to remove the belts. I haven't experienced any detonation though, so I might advance it a bit more until I do get some, and then turn it back down.

FordBoy4ever: I believe our cars have eec-iv's (correct me if i'm wrong). Those model eec's will just reset the timing to it's programmed timing if it detects a change. The jumpering just basically shorts that little mechanism and tells the chip that this is the correct timing.

edit- Oh, and I forgot to mention. Don't let those one of those plug wires touch your hand if they happen to come off while you're turning the distributor, they give ya a nasty little shock :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.