FEOA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'm quessing 3 hours for a timing belt and add 2 hours if you want the water pump changed out too. My 92 wagon has 124,000 miles on the original belt and pump. Understand my car gets driven by a semi-normal 50yr old, not a young kid winding it up. If I was reading posts by 2nd gen. 1.9 owners about belts breaking I,d probably change mine. I know from experence the 1st gen. cars broke belts about 80,000 miles or so, but I don't hear anything about the 2nd cars. Also its not in the owners manual as a service item at a specific milage. The Haynes repair book lists it but they probably have a standard mainainace cycle for all cars. Its up to you. Ive replaced a belt and pump on my 86 wagon and its not the most fun job. Bloody knuckles are a possibility. I'm letting mine break and then towing it in. Remember mine rarely goes over 3,500 rpm.

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
mine wa 18 bucks, and several hours of your life that, when you are done, you'll want back to use in a more productive manner.

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
ive taken the belt off of my 1.9 at least 40 times for various things.. cam gear install, timing tensioner, just because... its not hard.

hardest part about replacing the stinkin' timingbelt is pulling the crank pulley off.

my owners manual does have it as a service item at 60k miles, but no worries, if it breaks, its a non-interferance engine, so just replace it and go on.

·
Registered
167 Posts
with my motor built the way it is now i have to replace it about every 20K, i havent had one break yet but at about that point half of the teeth have cracks in them.. doesnt see to matter what brand i use either

·
Registered
242 Posts
My Zetec just broke at 169k... and my 1.9L at 119k and 136k have never had a change. I think the 60k Ford recommendation is just CYA.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
my 2.0 SPI (1.9 based) broke @ 116K miles. Trust me, it is allot easier to change the belt when the cam gear and crank are on the same rotation..

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
mine brok on my 1.9 at 68,000 miles at idle at a stop light, i have heard though even though not an interferance motor, i heard of one case at freeway speed ready to shift to 5th a belt go and do some damage on a 1.9

the 1.8 are interferance so keep up on ot. 1.9 belt time replace ment less than one hour, takes longer to go buy one now, as for crank pulley, a good impact and it comes right off.

·
Administrator
9,286 Posts
impact wrenches dont always work. i had to put it in gear and block off all 4 tires then get my floor jack, breaker bar, extensions, chromoly socket, and a 3' iron pipe to get mine off the first time.

hook the socket to the extention then to the braker bar. set the braker bar on the jack part. that way its level and wont "bend". then give it hell

·
Registered
324 Posts
aliennation95gt said:
the 1.8 are interferance so keep up on ot. 1.9 belt time replace ment less than one hour, takes longer to go buy one now, as for crank pulley, a good impact and it comes right off.
From what I have heard/experiance the 1.8 is a non-interferance motor. Yes the manual say it is but if you ask the people that have blown them, they will tell you there was no damage.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
98race = it might not be from people who have, but i will treat it as one and tell people that incase if somethig did happen i dont want ot replace a motor, i will treat it as a interferance.

maclar, when i got my 95 i used a breaker bar car in gear all that, grabed a snap on impact and secods later viola it was off, but yes i do know each person will have a diffrence experinece. on my neighbors miata, we took the breaker bar and wrench attached them and hit the key and uesed the motor itsefl to break it loose, just a quick turn of the key and off and it worked.

·
Registered
167 Posts
98RACE said:
From what I have heard/experiance the 1.8 is a non-interferance motor. Yes the manual say it is but if you ask the people that have blown them, they will tell you there was no damage.
8O 8O if they didn't completely break the belt and conly jumped a few teeth that is possible, or if they werent running the car that hard and the motor chugged out quickly enough they might have only marred a piston, (happened on my friends honda) but the BP's ARE interference motors, you fry the blet your gonna take out some internals, i've seen it happen on at least 3 BP's...

·
Premium Member
8,139 Posts
teh 1.8L is not an interfernace motor. if the belt breaks your ok. if it skips a tooth you still ok. willum hopped a tooth and no isues.

NEUMAN

1 - 20 of 26 Posts