FEOA Forums banner

Timing belt is gone!

979 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  koolwhipman 
#1 ·
So Friday night I take off from a stop sign and stall shortly after. Wouldn't start so I had it towed home Saturday. I had pulled the cover back a little to see if the cam gear was turning while a friend turned it over and it was stationary so I knew I had the task ahead of me.

Today I unbolted the splash guard from the wheel-well and the gear cover in the engine bay. All of the how-to write ups and previous questions have made me really confident in my shoping list and what I'm going to do with everything, but I do have one thing I can't be sure of yet. I keep reading that if your current belt has round teeth or square teeth to get whatever it currently has, but my teeth aren't with me anymore and I didn't look beside the road for whats left.

So what belt would a 95 have? I plan to buy a new one this week, but figured I would see what you guys have to say about this.

#2 ·
If I remember correctly, the change from square tooth to round tooth timing belts was made about halfway through the '91 model year. Your car should have the round tooth belt.

Casey

#3 ·
^yup. not only does the belt need to be replaced but so does the water pump. over a year ago my car did this exact same thing. i replaced the timing belt, started the car, and found coolant leaks from the water pump. it's usually the culprit for snapped belts. got a rebuilt water pump for $25 at o'reillys aka schuck's and so far so good.

#8 ·
cklaubur said:
If I remember correctly, the change from square tooth to round tooth timing belts was made about halfway through the '91 model year. Your car should have the round tooth belt.

Casey
this

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.