FEOA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you remmenber few month ago i have a problem with my harmonic balancer keyway, in that time i replace it, also the water pump, the tensioner and the timming belt.

Since that time the car are running good, first start are good, high mileage, good power, increase power with the A/C, but sometimes i feel the car with more power that other days.

i´ve notice that my timming belt are a little bit loose, specially in some points
when you rotate the crankshaft, when the piston 1 are in TDC the band are tight, when it pass the belt loose a little bit, i was thinking it´s because the cam. As you know the tensioner and the belt are brand new, boths are GATES brand.

i think my belt are jumping teeth (one more or one less)

any advise?

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
Have you checked the timing? I would think if it has jumped a tooth you'd be able to tell it in the way the car ran and also in the gas mileage, but I can't explain why the belt would be looser in some positions than other.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well the car runs better that before the change of timing things.

but, sometimes when you step the gas pedal the car runs good and sometimes don´t, if i check the timing mark looks like the camshaft was off one teeth, and the car don´t response good, but sometimes the mark are good.

i think the problem is that the timing belt don´t have the same tight the whole time.

if you move the crankshaft (CW) the cams move in steps, i think it´s normal because the lobes but when the lobes end sometimes the cam returns a little bit (CCW) in this time the belt loose.

·
Registered
10 Posts
What you'e describing with the belt seeming to go loose at certain degrees of rotation when turning over the motor by hand is normal. As you said it's because of the ramps on the cam.

All you can do is align the marks on the crank and cam pulleys, and make sure the spring-loaded tensioner is working. As you probably know the crankshaft pulley rotates twice for every 1 rotation of the cam pulley, but every 2 rotations of the crank should have the marks aligned. You're saying once in awhile the marks are off by 1 tooth, which really isn't possible. (because the number of teeth on the cam pulley is twice the number of teeth on the crankshaft pulley) If it's off the marks by 1 tooth, it's always off by that amount and you should correct it.

Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you Flounder and FordMan59

my doubt was the movement of the camshaft when you move the crankshaft, it look's like miss one teeth but right know i check the aligments marks and they are good.

sorry for the misunderstood, my bad, i think because of the doubt i explain me wrong

so right now i know that the moves of the cam are normal because the ramps

thank you very much for all and best regards

1 - 5 of 5 Posts