FEOA Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 96 1.9 liter has some strange problems. It stopped running two days ago. I checked it out and I have fuel and spark. I pull the timing cover and the belt is ok. I figure it may have jumped a tooth so I replaced it.

I aligned the crank dot with the mark in the block and aligned the camshaft pulley arrow with the the dot casted in the head. I follow the Haynes manual to the letter. I rotate the assembly 2 times and it comes back to the marks. When I try to start the car, it spits and sputters like the timing is off. So I check fuel pressure, spark, timing and can't find a thing wrong. I do a leakdown test and find that I have good valves and rings. I do a compression test and find good compression everywhere.

I can make the car run by giving it gas but it sounds like a rod knocking. I pulled the pan and checked the rods, no problems found. Possible bad timing?

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
It sounds like a timing issue that I had before. After we installed the new belt and lined up all the marks, we still had issues. For some reason even if the marks look perfectly aligned, it doesn't mean they are. You might want to check the marks again, because they can become a little off once the motor starts and tension begins.

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Do you know for sure if you have fuel at the fuel rail, or do you just have fuel in the tank of the car? I would suggest changing the fuel filter if not done already. Is the fuel pump coming one, and is there fuel pressure? After that I'd try looking for a vac leak. What's the air filter like?

Matt 8)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Found the problem.

I decided to turn the crank over by hand again and I found it had two tight spots when 1 and 4 were up and 2 and 3 were at the top of the compression stroke. I pulled the head and I found I was missing a valve seat on my intake valve on cylinder 3. It seems to have fallen out and got chewed on by the piston and the head, ruined both. The motor has never been hot so I am worried there may be a lean condition on cylinder 3 that helped create a hot spot that helped drop the seat.

While I have the motor tore down, I will check the rods for stretch and overhaul it too.

Thanks for the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.