FEOA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i´m new and i´ve been hearing all about changing your engine timing. i´m sure it´s been answered a million times, but what exactly does it entail, i know i need a timing light and i need to turn the distributor cap toward the firewall but can anyone tell me how far, any one now the optimal change? and i´m sure i´m missing something, any clarification would be appreciated. by the way, i drive a 91 gt 1.8L

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
first off, 91´s are the best :)

You loosen the bolts on the dist a little bit, and then, while the engine is running and your timing light is pointed at the meter on the crankshaft pulley, you turn the dist towards the firewall until you start seeing your reading on the timing marks on the pulley change.

The general rule is that you start feeling a difference at around a 4 degree change. You shouldn´t go over 16 degrees, and if you do, you´ll start knocking and the engine will kick in the anti-knock system and your timing will become retarded to compensate.

Also remember that you tend to have to run higher octane fuel when you advance your timing as preignition is common.

hope that helps a wee tiny bit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts