FEOA Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any one do a tilt steering column swap if so whats involved i got a 94 gt with a bag and im puttin in the 93 gt w/o bag but w/tilt .

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
for a shop to do yes for the owner no

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im just asking how long basically it takes i dont wanna rip it apart and take all day never done a column b4 i just need it to fit in with my mx3 seats im short and the wheels to high and now i got a parts car

·
Premium Member
1,675 Posts
It's a direct swap. Go under the dash and up to the firewall where it passes through. Take off that plastic cover. In there you need to undo the torx bolt that holds the column to the steering rack. I don't know the exact size of the torx but it's pretty big. After you get that loose then take the plastic surround off from behind your steering wheel. Look under there and you will see 4 gold bolts holding the column up. Take them out, and then the column is free. Now just swap all the components from one to the other or just swap the wires if you have all the components already on the new column. Then reassemble and tilt away.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Yeah, I would want to try and swap the airbag wheel onto the tilt column. And don't forget good old Uncle Sam gets a little more picky about auto safety features every year. Since you have the tilt column sitting there, see if you can get away with swapping the wheel (and the ignition). Don't forget the ignition. Much easier to do when the column is out of the car.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Wait wait...shouldn't you disconnect the battery or something before messing with airbags? You could easily sell an airbag on the black market for $3000, wasting it would be such a shame :wink:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts