FEOA Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure this is a timeless one but I have just replaced the water pump and timing belt on my car.

I did alot of searching google to see how to tighten the crankshaft bolt without alot of hassling.

I read that you can take a manual transmission vehicle put it in gear with the vehicle off and turn the crankshaft pulley bolt so long as the vehicle is on the ground.

When I attempt to tighten the bolt, the vehicle starts moving.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

· Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

· Super Moderator
10,567 Posts
Put it in 4th gear, and let the nose of the car be up against something that wont move; tree, wall, tail end of an SUV. ??

You could also drive it to a place that worked on tires, and let them give it a light touch with their impact wrench. You should have a socket with you to fit the bolt, and it should probably be a half inch drive socket. If you live more than about 5 miles from a place with an air impact wrench though, i would hesitate to drive the car further.

· Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
denisond3 said:
Put it in 4th gear, and let the nose of the car be up against something that wont move; tree, wall, tail end of an SUV. ??

You could also drive it to a place that worked on tires, and let them give it a light touch with their impact wrench. You should have a socket with you to fit the bolt, and it should probably be a half inch drive socket. If you live more than about 5 miles from a place with an air impact wrench though, i would hesitate to drive the car further.
That is a very good idea. Only thing is, I don't want to smoosh up my bumper cover against the object. You drive a valid point about the possibility of me being more than 5 miles from the closest impact wrench. Since you live up in NOVA sometimes you might know that I live in the stix of Spotsylvania!

· Registered
346 Posts
Well... I wouldnt recommend it, but there is another (unsafe) way.

Just put the socket on the bolt, then wedge the wrench into the ground. Step back, turn the car over (quickly), and it should tighten itself. Only issues are that ypu can shear the wrench off and have it go flying, shear the head off the bolt, or break the socket.

You can do the same for loosening the bolt too, but thats even more unsafe.

· Registered
6,096 Posts
not sure if the BP trans have it but on my 1.9 trans there's a hole on the bottom rear side of the flywheel(in my case, flexplate) housing. i used an allen wrench to hold my flexplate while i loosened or tightened the crank bolt.

· Registered
2,679 Posts
i honestly wouldn't trust anything other than an impact gun. the starter trick works great for removing it when you don't have one or it's too weak.

way back in the day the electric impact we were using was too weak to get mine off, so we did the starter trick then put it back on with the weak impact.

· Registered
1,117 Posts
harbor freight sells an awesome 110 volt corded impact gun, I use that for everything and haven't found 1 thing it can't take off, it zips axle nuts off in seconds! I think I paid like 30 for it with the coupon, good stuff.

· Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ended up taking 2 cinder blocks to hold the back wheels while I turned the breaker bar. I could not turn the bar anymore so it has to be on tight enough.

· Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lol, I love my cinder blocks now!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.