FEOA Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a set of bent/broken ones a year ago, and this afternoon I called up the shop to see if my car was ready, and they said my tie rods were again damaged and they were replacing them (on the other guy's insurance, to boot!).

Okay, what are these things, what do they do, and how does one break/bend/otherwise damage them? I feel like maybe I'm driving the car too rough or something (going too fast around curves with stock parts that aren't designed for constant stress or something) and need to either replace them with stronger parts or stop doing it.

Answers/thoughts?

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
tierods are the things that go from the rack to the balljoints. They're the things that transfer the energy from the steering wheel to the wheels themselves. So when you turn the wheel, the rack pushes and pulls the tierods to turn the wheels.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh. Thanks. So, could they be replaced with stronger ones that perform better or am I doomed to keep breaking them? (I don't think the wreck really damaged them, it didn't bend the frame any, and it would've had to do that to mess up the steering, no?)

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
they all wear out over time. im sure hey needed it even before the wreck, but the mechanics are under your car now looking for whatever may need fixed/replaced. im willing to bet that they'll even change all your broken bulbs and wiper blades.. heh.

·
Premium Member
1,675 Posts
You can damage/break tie rods by simply hitting a curb or even a large pothole while turning. A while back I spun out and hit a curb going ~60mph and broke one tie rod in half, bent the other, and snapped the steering rack in two.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like my moronic driving. Besides, I haven't /touched/ anything else other than the road (except for the wreck, which wasn't my fault) in two years. :roll: I take it slow over speed bumps and try and avoid potholes (neh? it's not always possible, you'd know that if you saw the highways in Missouri. They're fulla holes. :? In fact, our highways are of such poor quality that we don't get money from the federal government to maintain our interstate. Hah.)

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
since we're on the subject of tie rods...

i've noticed a creaking noise when i turn (in any direction). and i can even feel it in the steering wheel. is it the tie rods? all i know is that it's suspension related, possibly ball & joint.

this sucks, i avoid potholes like there's no tomorrow, i take my turns smooth & steady, and am real gentle with my car. im almost positive they've been replaced at least two years ago.

any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
If it's a low-pitched squeal/whine, that's the power steering pump. A friend of mine autocrosses in his VW GTI and you can hear that thing whining like a baby when he navigates through the slalom.

What you need to do to troubleshoot the problem is jack the car up and start it. Then, with the front wheels off the ground, try turning the wheel. If it still squeals, it's probably something in the power steering or rack, I guess.

If it only does it while it's on the ground, though, it's probably just the car shifting weight on the control arms and making the bushings squeal.

My car has this really funny squeak whenever the car noses foward (during a sudden braking or when I push the clutch in to shift). I'm thinking it may be the place where the swaybar attaches to the crossmember. I dunno.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
yeha, i get the low pitch squeak when at a stand-still and turn the wheel. it usually does it anyway when the rpms go lower than normal, usually when the car's idling and i do something that makes the car work a little bit harder. at first it takes the power away, then revives itself shortly after. so it'll make that annoying squeal for seconds at a time. so, now i know what THAT was --power steering pump.
it was bothering me for awhile and still does, but it didn't affect anything, so i let it be.

but what i was asking about before thinking it was the tie rods. it's when in motion or at a stop - doesnt matter. it's mostly coming from the driver's side; a creaking noise. so i think it may be the ball & joint. b/c i had the passenger b&j replaced a year ago.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Try turning off the car, setting it down on level, paved ground, popping the hood open, and pushing up and down on the driver's front strut tower and see if you can get the squeaking sound to come back.

Also, put the car in 1st gear and rock the car back and forth and see if you can get it to squeak.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
okay, i pushed on the driver's front tower. it made a similar creaking noise, but stopped after about 6 or 7 pushes.

i turned the wheel a little bit while the car was off, on level ground, and in park and then in first. it still made the noise.

i put her in 1st and rocked her back & forth, no noise.

and when i turned the engine on, it still made the noise when i turned the wheel.

oh yeah, did i mention that it tends to make the noise when i make l/h turns and when im straightening back out from l/h turns?

·
Registered
365 Posts
(neh? it's not always possible, you'd know that if you saw the highways in Missouri. They're fulla holes. In fact, our highways are of such poor quality that we don't get money from the federal government to maintain our interstate. Hah.)
that is true.....i bent my wife's rim the other day due to it.....can't navigate on I-55 w/ traffic and potholes...lolz....

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
okay, i just got home from the shop. it was the tie rods. they're just aging. and needed greasing. they're fixed now. but it wouldn't hurt getting new tie rods in the near-future.

thanks for the help, guys!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts