FEOA Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know where to start but here's my dilenma:

I have a 5spd, shifting to any gear is smooth - in/out of gears. It's when I'm in gear (especially the 3rd gear) that once I gas it for a little or alot, and then release the gas pedal, the car goes into this "jolting" motion..It happens in all the gears but most severe in 3rd and the least in 5th. This jolt happens everytime I drive and is no isolated case. My mechanic thought it was the motor mounts that were bad, so I had them replaced. But they were not the culprit because the car still acts the same way. There are no slippages in the tranny, just the jolting dramas. Can anyone help me out or shed some light here?

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I always thought that problem was the engine mounts... but as you said, you've had yours replaced.

My sister had that same problem with her 91GT, until the transmission died...

My 95 is in significantly better condition though, and it doesn't have that problem. So if it's not the engine mounts, I can't help but think that it's the transmission or axle play or something. Good question though. I'd like to hear what other people have to say.

·
Registered
478 Posts
What is the RPM, when this happens ?

I find there is some jolt if you are at 3400 and 3500…. Before the engine is ready to opens up…

·
Registered
735 Posts
You're talking like when you left off the gas and you just get a sudden jolt where the engine goes to rev down? Or does it act like it's about to stall sort of? If it's just a single jolt does the jolt also happen when you press the gas suddenly at around 3500rpm or so? I don't have a solution, but mine does that. I don't know if it's just a problem with the accelerator though and it's probably completely unrelated

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know exactly which rev bracket this happens cuz I dun have a tach on my scort (LX) but it happens throughout the rev range. It's more evident around the 3000-4000rpm range. This does not mean that it doesnt happen around the other rev ranges. I have many years driving a manual tranny so I can somewhat have a "feel" of the revs/engine speed at their respective speeds on the speedometer.
The motion of the jolting is like a car choking or studdering. It almost seems like it wants to die but doesn't. It's not one single jolt, it continues till I accelerate again or shift it to neutral.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I kind of have the same problem here....No matter what rev range or gear I'm in when I let off the throttle no matter how gently the car bucks like 3-5 times. Now is this something normal or is it dirty fuel injectors or something to do with my intake/exhaust. By the way I have a 91 Tracer LTS.

·
Registered
128 Posts
My intake tube isn't in the best shape it's seen. It's ready to break right in half but I got some trusty packing tape holding it together air tight. Prior to that I had it held together with duct tape and before that the owner before me did a shitty job of wrapping it in heat tape. Might be that I have half an exhaust? I'm not sure if it did this before my exhaust started leaking and losing parts at a fast pace. :roll:

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Just to let ya all know, when I had my 92 GT, my car would buck like mad, didn't matter what gear. Then I got the downpipe below the header replaced and my intake replaced, both had holes in them. It didn't do it anymore.

Bucking isn't the cause of bad motor mounts, but it certainly doesn't make your motor mounts stay new very long. Check your intake and make sure theres no hole in the downpipe below the header.

dirty air=bad fo yo car

·
Registered
128 Posts
Well at the moment I'm waiting for my cone and adapter from Cork Sport (been 2 weeks) and as soon as I get that I'm gunna head down to the shop and have them weld me up an intake tube and solve that problem. I'm sure I got a hole in my downpipe because I do alot of offroading and recently have become a stuntman with all the crazy jumps I've been doing and my car likes to land especially hard on the front and it also likes to rip my muffler clean off. I'm looking for a reliable aftermarket exhaust from the headers back with no fart can on the end, any suggestions? I don't want to shell out the 310 for a shitty OEM cat either, are aftermarkets any cheaper?

·
Registered
235 Posts
KFC_Or_Bust said:
Well at the moment I'm waiting for my cone and adapter from Cork Sport (been 2 weeks) and as soon as I get that I'm gunna head down to the shop and have them weld me up an intake tube and solve that problem. I'm sure I got a hole in my downpipe because I do alot of offroading and recently have become a stuntman with all the crazy jumps I've been doing and my car likes to land especially hard on the front and it also likes to rip my muffler clean off. I'm looking for a reliable aftermarket exhaust from the headers back with no fart can on the end, any suggestions? I don't want to shell out the 310 for a shitty OEM cat either, are aftermarkets any cheaper?
Highflow cats are around $50

1 - 11 of 11 Posts