FEOA Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Recently I started to do a complete tune up on the scort while changing out that manifold gasket. Figured id just get it out of the way.

Having a few problems here.

Broke 2 of the bolts that snug down the thermostat housing.
Whats the easiest way to get them out?

Thanks.

· Registered
269 Posts
Depends on if they broke out "in" or "out" of the surrounding steel..

If it broke off above the surface, sometimes welding a vicegrips to it makes nice easy work of it.

under the surface, you're looking at an easy-out and a helicoil, if you overdo it..

One thing to tell you.. When you get that one out, make sure you use a little loctite, or a little anti-seize on the bolts.. Both will delay or prevent corrosion from locking them in place..

· Registered
225 Posts
you broke 2?? ouch. You are most likley going to have to take the head off. I would get it out of the way just take the head off and take it to a machine shop to get it drilled and tapped and save yourself future headache. I broke one and tried a bolt extractor, I broke the bolt extractor in the head. I was able to get the extractor out with a dremel then tried drilling and tapping it myself but was unable to drill it straight and ended up fudging it up. I ended up just buying a rebuilt head on ebay. your options are, bolt extractor, drill and tap, or take head to machine shop.

· Registered
1998 ZX2
9,978 Posts
the1nicko said:
your options are, bolt extractor, drill and tap, or take head to machine shop.
You forgot the JB weld the housing to the head option. :lol:

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One broke off and left enough that i could get a good pair of grips on the bolt to work it out.

The other was broken clean, and Im having to drill it out.

Thanks for great advice guys.

I cant really type now, my hands are sore. I work with approx 150,000 poultry each night, leaving me with little energy to work on anything.

Ill post up this week when IM feeling better.

· Registered
925 Posts
Some have had luch with two bolts (not over tightened and some RTV silicone. Were it me it would leak before I even attempted to fill the radiator.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UPDATE:

THE WAGON IS BACK ON THE ROAD!

Ended up drilling out one of the bolts, using an ez-out and putting in a self tapping bolt. The other was able to take out with a good pair of vice grips.

Car runs great now. I fixed all the vacuum leaks, along with that manifold gasket. Runs like new now, with the exception of one problem.

It is running a little on the cool side. Although gas mileage is great (around 32+/- mixed)...Ive searched and came up with a few possible solutions.

Thanks Guys

· Registered
269 Posts
...put a little cardboard between the a/c condenser and the radiator-- then just watch your temp gauge. :)

I do it with my diesels all winter.. :)

AJ RN

· Registered
46 Posts
Im in the same boat. My temp gauge is reading on the cold side (about a quarter up from 0), but i still get heat and my gas mileage is decent (about 550km's per tank).

I bought a thermostat and was prepared to change it myself until i looked at it and figured it was too much of a pain in the butt. Plus its minus -20 out and my single car garage is too cluttered with junk. :roll:

Brought it to the mechanic and they got everything off but he stopped at the thermostat housing because the last 2 bolts were seized and he could tell that if he goes any further, he may shear the heads right off. So he asked me what he should do. I said well im getting heat so there is no point risking an overhaul on the head if the bolts broke, just get the temp gauge to work again. (Assuming that's the issue.) $$$$

Maybe ill try ajrn's fix and just jam a piece of cardboard in between the rad and the ac condenser. Not sure if it will work though because the temp has always been pointing to the 'cold' side ever since i got the car this past summer...

· Registered
1998 ZX2
9,978 Posts
If its just your temp gauge then replace the sending unit. Its the one with the single wire on it.

· Registered
1998 ZX2
9,978 Posts
Why buy used? They are under $15 new.

· Registered
1998 ZX2
9,978 Posts
NAPA or any other parts store.

· Registered
15,186 Posts
No, just NAPA or CarQuest. Don't get a sending unit at Pep Boys or some similiar place.

Anyway, it's stories like this that keep me from fixing my nusiance leak I have hear the thremostat housing.

· Registered
1998 ZX2
9,978 Posts
I admit I wouldent buy parts at Pep Boys but I have had good luck with Advance.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.