FEOA Forums banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts
I guess my question is why you would go to the trouble of setting up an HID kit when you can get comparable performance by upgrading to a relay kit and popping in higher wattage bulbs? This way you aren't hacking into your cars system and you won't have issues down the road.

John

halogens are an old technology. Higher wattage in a plasic housing is a bad idea. I melted both wiring harnesses and plugs putting 100w bulbs in mine.
If hids are not for you. You can go with LEDs which r getting a lot brighter with out high wattage and power drain.

i just got a set of 80/100 watt and put them in stock 97 housings in wifes wAgon, may upgrade wiring later if i like them

back in the okd gsxr days id taje my stock obes out and repkace them with 80/100 s all the time, usually one white and one yellow, loved the oks slingshots gsxr's

all on stock wiring not saying its right but i never had a problem, jap technology is pretty good, i know fords wiring is lackluster.

Pretty sure high watt bulbs are in the same boat as HIDs.... Atleast HIDs wont start a damn fire. In either case, I've never lived in any state where the cops even care.

I do agree sometimes it is an aiming issue.. Especially with lifted trucks. Normally trucks are nosed down from the factory because of the load springs in the rear, and the headlights are aimed accordingly. Lift kits usually level out this angle, which also raises the headlight aim angle. I have installed leveling shims to the front end of a vehicle I had, but I did it in front of the garage door so I could measure the before and after aiming angle and adjust it back down.

Also note that many halogen bulb types actually have a small reflector/cutoff over the low beam filament within the bulb itself. Obviously a housing designed for these bulbs would need this to have the correct cutoff. Unless you use a HID bulb with an external cutoff you are essentially driving around with the brights on any time they are in use.

the headligt fuse should protect the wiring.
True, but unfortunately our cars aren't getting any newer. And as wiring ages it's resistance goes up through internal oxidation. This causes a voltage drop that goes purely into heat.

Are the pics still good in this op?

41 - 48 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.