FEOA Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Damn I did not think that I would get this much out of this topic. Well it has helped. I will be looking for an AWD Portege. I bet i could find a recked on for little to nothing. Pull the trivedrain, gas tank, and cut the floor pan out and there we go.

Have the drive shaft streched the 4" or so.
Weld in the Protege floor pan.
Mount in the gas tank.
Rerun the pipes.
Bolt the rear end up to my coil overs.
Drop in a GTX engine
The wireing and ECU.
Through the AC in the ditch.
Turbo and intercooler.
Some tower bars.
A set of 205/40 17

Hell 2 or 3 week and about $2500 ( - the tires and wheels) and I could be making those Civic guys look twice at this little green wagon. Now I know what I will be doing with my tax return.

Thanks Guys
I will do my best to try to put notes of my build and pic too.

THe hunt is on for an AWD Protege.

If any one knows were I can find a recked one in or some were around Kentucky sent me and email. [email protected]

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
2 or 3 weeks? I did a project somewhat similar to this with a friend with his jeep, which involved an engine swap and a drivetrain rehaul. We took out the tranny and engine, and then dropped in a new engine and tranny. We then had to completely rewire the wiring harness and shorten the drive axle a bit. It was a lot of work. Took a solid 3 weeks, and that was really putting in some hours too.

I'm all for it, but make sure you get a decent condition wagon. It's be a shame to do all that work to a rust bucket.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
TitoElSpicco said:
The_Witch_wagon said:
Hell 2 or 3 week
8O .. i don't think you realize how large or a project you're taking on.. you're basically building a car from scratch.. but good luck!
hahaha :withstupid:

but ya never know, some people have way too much time on their hands.

How exactly are you going to stretch a drive shaft...just buy a new on in the length you need...and you're going to need 2, aren't you? ....
....or is the protege the same as the 323 GTX awd? With an engine mounted like a FWD car with a single transfer case to the rear?? :?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
...they keep the driveshaft stretcher right there on the shelf next to the bolt stretcher....lol...yeah we all know what he means...but it does sound funny...we used to have all kinds of fun wiht people using strange things like that....I think the best is when we told a few guys that they were offering sign up bonuses for a new job...."In flight missle repairman"....it was too funny watching them go to the recruiter asking about it

that is gonna be one helluva a project for and AWD wagon....I hope the best for ya....

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
James92Scort said:
TitoElSpicco said:
How exactly are you going to stretch a drive shaft...just buy a new on in the length you need...and you're going to need 2, aren't you? ....
....or is the protege the same as the 323 GTX awd? With an engine mounted like a FWD car with a single transfer case to the rear?? :?
Yes, exact same drivetrain layout as the 323 GTX awd (same components even). Only cars that start out with a RWD usually have separate transfer cases with 2 driveshafts.

I don't believe the driveshaft will need to be lengthened if it comes out of the protege since the wheelbase should be the same. Only the 323 GTX's driveshaft should need it. There are shops that specialize in adjusting the length of driveshafts.. so having the driveshaft "stretched" isn't such a crazy way to put it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok I did a little research on this. The AWD protege will work. I am sure that the engine sits like a FWD engine. The drive shaft should be fine. Only big thing to over come will be the drive shaft tunnle. Some carfull cutting and welding will fix that if you have the protege on hand. I am also researching to find out if I can get away from the 1.8l bpt and go with the Zentec. I am not sure about it yet but i thing that it wight work. I just need to fine out what engine is in the AWD Protege. Any one got the answer to that .

Other then the floor pan every thing should bult right in place.
Gas tank
rear end and linkage
brake cable and lines
engine and tranny

Also if you are going to do this make sure you get the shifter and linkages for it. You might have to go with the seat brakits from the dooner AWD Protege sence the mounting point will have to be moved over, be sure you cut them out with the driveshaft tunnel. You may aslo have to get the bottom part of the rear seat to fight ovet the tunnel. Will have to look at thet one when i finf the dooner car.

This by no means is a small build. But with some time, a cool head, a good set of tools, engine lift, nippler, drill, and tig welder you should be able to get it done sooner then you think.

You will be add a little weight but it will help balance the car(should get closer to a 50/50 balance) and greatly improve the handling of the car. The car should be at the same ride hight.

AWD, coilovers, tower bars, and a good set of tires. A caimper ajuster will be a good idea as well.

So find the AWD Protege the has been wrecked (as long as the drivetrain is not f---ed) for about $1000 dollars or less and take the Scort to a hole nother lavel.

Or you can Just fork out the 25+ grand and get a Cosworth but hell were the fun in that..

I think that it is worth the trouble. What do you think? If you see that i have left anything out please feel in the blanks for me.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Just FYI, this will take thousands of dollars and thousands of hours...

just thought i'd throw that in again.. it seems to be the only thing you're forgetting.. :) but like i said before, good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts