FEOA Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
recently I posted about my temperature gauge going bad, it turned out to be the temp sensor sender that needed replacing. So I did that and the temp gauge is working well.

However...when I took my 1998 ZX2 for a test drive, when I shift into fourth, at about 60 kmph (40 mph) +, my exhaust starts smoking, and my car temperature is fine, it's not overheating.

Any ideas what could be happening?

Any help would be great please and thank you.

-G.B. #40

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The smoke was definitely more blue than white. I don't think it's the head gasket because that happened to my mother's Sable when I was driving it, and that was overheating like crazy and the smell, and the smoke was definitely white. So hopefully it's not that.

When I changed the temp sender sensor, I also changed the top sensor on the thermostat housing which is the cooling fan sender sensor, I believe.

Upon changing those the temp gauge went right back to normal.
Then on the test drive yesterday, the temp gauge didn't pass where it was supposed to be. (In the middle) However, upon shifting to fourth and speeding up passed 60 kmph the smoke appeared.

Running rich? Rich on oil? I know I am due for a change. Would that make a difference?

Thanks for all your help people!
-G.B. #40

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
If your smoke is blue, you're getting oil in your combustion chamber and burning it.

There are several causes of oil getting into the combustion chamber and burning. It's not your valve stem seals - the blue smoke is most obvious on start-up when that happens. It's not your cylinder rings, because you would likely see blue smoke at all speeds, not just at a certain speed.

I go back to the head gasket. Your head is made of aluminum and your block out of steel. Aluminum expands/contracts faster. This bi-metallic nightmare can only be solved by a proper head gasket. If your head gasket is flawed, lots of things can happen but not all necessarily do. One thing that can happen is that oil can make it's way into the combustion chamber during certain parts of the cycle. Thus, if your engine warms up quickly, you could get blue smoke only at certain times.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think you have some decisions to make.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.