FEOA Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok once i get my second job I´ll be able to definitely afford getting tie rods. what I need to know is what is the rest of the suspension with rubber bushings that wear out. like the CV joints. How many CV joints are on the GT suspension and how much will any of you think it´ll be to buy replacement CVs?

I want to replace pretty much the entire suspension set up...in hopes that it will be able to take the abuse from the turbo I´m going to throw in there.

Pimp, (or anyone else who knows what he´s talking about) could you name everything you can that goes into the suspension set up than you can off the top of your head? That way I can write it down and learn it myself. ;-)

·
Premium Member
1,675 Posts
The CV joints aren´t part of the suspension, they are on the axles. I guess you can consider them part of it since they allow the axle to work at whatever angle the suspension is at. If the protective boots aren´t torn and they aren´t clicking or anything then you should be alright. The tie rods aren´t rubber bushings either, they have a dust boot over them that can tear and then they will wear out which is probably what happened to yours. As for other parts that wear out: you´ll want to look at the lower ball joints, which connect the lower suspension arm to the steering knuckles (it´s kinda like a tie rod- check for torn rubber boots on these); also look at the sway bar end links and mounts; and all the suspension arms have rubber bushings on their mounts as well, but I´m not sure if you can replace the bushing alone without replacing the whole arm. The strut tops can go bad too but that´s pretty rare. Hope that helps a little.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That´s the most help I´ve gotten so far. I need to learn this myself so I can do it all myself some weekend in my driveway. you have no idea just how bad my car handles. I´m afraid to take it out of ft wayne because of the suspension travel and how it likes to go to one side in hard acceleration. :-[

·
Registered
26 Posts
I replaced my steering rack bushings in my 91 GT, and it made an amazing difference. Before I had to fight to keep it straight because the bushings were so bad that when I turned the wheel, the whole rack would move about an inch before the tires even moved!!

·
Registered
710 Posts
forcefedgt said:
I replaced my steering rack bushings in my 91 GT, and it made an amazing difference. Before I had to fight to keep it straight because the bushings were so bad that when I turned the wheel, the whole rack would move about an inch before the tires even moved!!
Was browsing for steering issues and found this...note to all NEWBs, the Search feature does work.

Forcefed - did you replace the bushings yourself or have a shop do it? If yourself, how involved a job was it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts