FEOA Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok.... when the volume level is set at 00 the subs are making a "thumop thump thump" noise.... its not very loud but it seems to mimic my engine RPMs. When i turn the cd player off, the noise stops. My amp is set to come on when the cd player is on. what could this be? how is it doing it? can i be stopped? and another thing is this just started last week and ive have the subs and stuff for about 3 months. thanks guys (and girls).

·
Registered
138 Posts
check all of your connections, especially the ground wires, something may have gotten loose, it sounds like you might be picking up some engine noise, if none of your connections are loose try lowering the gain on your amp a little.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
all the connections were good, and the gain didnt do much. i found out y this is happening.... a truck on thursday hit our telephone pole and the LIVE wires hit my car. i figured the the electrical line sent a surge through my system and did something 2 the head unit. insurance check from the trucker comes in 2 weeks.... so ill be gettting a new head unit. thanxs for the input
later

-Dave-

Check Out My Cardomain Page!!!

[ This message was edited by: pballer98c on 04-05-2003 00:18 ]

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
if you want to part with the old on like for free send it to me I am in dire need of a head unit.. (stock one is cute and all but I need something that plays cd´s)

·
Registered
91 Posts
some times you will also get noise if when the car system was installed the mian power wire some how got hooked up to the power feed wire from the altinator that you will get a constant current that will sound like a remote control car motor

that is for anyone else having sound problems with there system

·
Registered
430 Posts
Well, I know this is an old post, but I figured I'd post here instead of creating a new post. The EXACT same thing just happened to me. I was driving home from work a couple weeks ago, and all of a sudden it sounded like my subs and speakers all blew at once. I turned off the HU and drove the rest of the way home.

At home, i turned it on and it worked, but not like it used to. I have an amp powering my speakers, and an amp on my subs. At idle, you can hear a faint hum from the speakers, even when volume is at zero, and when I rev the engine it sounds like an RC car. Also, at idle, my subs are making the "thump thump thump" noise the original poster had. And when I turn the volume up and turn the bass boost up, the bass sounds really messed up.

I've checked, and re-checked and then re-checked all connections. I even had the entire interior out last week. I realize the post right before mine says something about the RC car noise, but it doesnt really make any sense to me. If someone could mabey explain what he was trying to say, It could help greatly. I'm going to try hooking up another HU to see if it was the problem.

Other than that, can anyone offer me some more advise.

Just a re-cap, here is what I've done so far:
-Checked all connections Multiple Times
-Played with the gain
-Going to try a different HU
-Going to try hooking up a cap

·
Registered
430 Posts
Yoda said:
Try new RCA's. I had a whining noise on my speakers twice, RCA's fixed it both times.
Mabey, but i find it weird that both RCS's would crap out at the same time. So, I hooked the speakers directly to the head unit, and lo-and-behold, the whine is still there, but very faint. I havnt had a chance to try another HU yet, but I will tonight. I'll try another rca cable and see if it makes any difference with the subs.

I hooked up a ground loop isolator to my amp, and it just totally stopped the bass altogether. Damn thing didnt work at all.

·
Registered
8,129 Posts
Yoda said:
Try new RCA's. I had a whining noise on my speakers twice, RCA's fixed it both times.
Yea, and all the inputs... check see if any wiring problems, it could really be anything.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Well, my problem is getting worse. It now happens when the car is on or off. I've tried new RCA's, a different head unit and I even connected a 4 gauge wite from the negative battery terminal to the chassis, and nothing is working. It's gotten to the point now that I cant even listen to my stero.

I'd apreciate any other ideas or solutions.

Thanks

--Dawizman

·
Registered
8,129 Posts
Dawizman said:
Well, my problem is getting worse. It now happens when the car is on or off. I've tried new RCA's, a different head unit and I even connected a 4 gauge wite from the negative battery terminal to the chassis, and nothing is working. It's gotten to the point now that I cant even listen to my stero.

Thanks

--Dawizman
You should take it to any car audio place, with most places they will have a look, see whats up, basicly free estimates.

·
Registered
430 Posts
4doorscort1 said:
Dawizman said:

Thanks

--Dawizman
You should take it to any car audio place, with most places they will have a look, see whats up, basicly free estimates.
I'll have to do that next week before I move. As it is now, there are no car audio places within 100 miles.

·
Registered
8,129 Posts
Ah.. that sucks.... :roll: Anyone around maybe could help you? who knows a little something bought car audio?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Well, I found my problem. About 100km into my 500km trip yesterday, the music cut out and smoke started rolling out of where my head unit was. I kinda figured it may have been the deck, because about the same time the problem started, the remote also stopped working.

Anyway, I gotta wait for my mom to send my receipt to me before I can get any warranty work done. Until then I have to go with no system, which really bites, unless I can find someone who has a spare one lying around that I can borrow. It sucks, but at least I found the problem. :(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts