FEOA Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
can be any size you want technically.. i think interior dimensions for a 12" sub is 1.0-2.0 Feet^3.. but i think ported is slightly more than that.

anyways, if you want a 1.0 ft^3 box, it can be 12x12x18" using 3/4 in polyboard, or 6x24x18, so you can have any size you want..

what you want to do is measure how wide and tall you want it to fit perfectly into your trunk.. the rear of my sub box lines up perfectly with the back seat of my 2nd gen, and its just simple calculations (an some fun cad drawings) to figure out how to maximize space

If you get some dimensions and general style you want, i would be more than happy to throw to gether some plans for you

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got a LX sedan 95
and i dont want it to go flat with my back seat thats where my amps r mounted for not. But i want plexiglass some where on the box so people can c my sub. so i mean i want wat ever will fit and give me the best SPL reading and best sound out of that box then everything else i will go from there .
so post me some idea plz .

·
Registered
750 Posts
SPL...build the biggest box that your sub will handle, tune it for a certain Hz (i.e. 55Hz) or just Aero port it and do alot of experimenting with the wavelengths. A buddy tommy of mine has two cerwin vegas hitting 165.3 spl at the dash in a dodge caravan. go figure...but anyways wtih SPL is a serious trade off for SQ...and unless your entire system is modified going strictly for SPL may not be to smart of an idea.

·
Registered
750 Posts
that would work, and if you build those boxes (probally cheaper) be sure to seal it up TIGHT...and i mean tight, i use a $h1tl0ad of screws and a tube of liquid nails, let it dry, then begin the break in...thats important the break in of the sub. Ummmmm to do that turn your amp down, the bassboost on the amp down, then go and gradually turn your amp up till the sub flexes about an inch, then gradually turn it up, it should take about 3 weeks for total break in and your sub should be able to take what ever you throw at it. But then again pushing 4000 watts will blow it so maybe not what ever your gonna throw at it.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
what should i use the Earthquake plans or the Kicker plans for the box, im think im going more towards the Earthquake box

·
Registered
10,892 Posts
A lot of subs come with specs on what will be the best sized box for them. I'd check into that. Some Subs are good with ported, some like enclosed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts