FEOA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so ive always sorta wanted on (i dunno why, just want a stiffer corner i geuss) but never really had a need, i just moved to a big city with lots of cloverleafs and such, so i figure now is as good a time as any to buy one

so what kind should i get, im going to try to get it out of a local shop around here, like ordered in, so no online stuff, but what kind of brands should i be looking for?

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have a GAB bar, a cheapie one from Corksport, and now I am running a Mazdaspeed bar. I even have a Mazdaspeed one for the rear.

Much better bars then the others.

Tom

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Just for the record, and this is coming from a junior mechanical engineer, strut bars don't make the frame "stiffer" per se... they actually just reduce stress on the chassis. Most people think that the strut towers are in compression (they lean in towards eachother) during a turn. This is actually false. In a sharp left turn, the right tower is actually pulling OUTWARDS, and the left tower is actually pulling inwards. By putting a strut bar on, you are taking that torsional force and dispersing it amongst two towers instead of one... so really it should be called a force distributor. This will improve the longevity of your chassis, especially if you're running a stiff susspension setup.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
siragan said:
Just for the record, and this is coming from a junior mechanical engineer, strut bars don't make the frame "stiffer" per se... they actually just reduce stress on the chassis. Most people think that the strut towers are in compression (they lean in towards eachother) during a turn. This is actually false. In a sharp left turn, the right tower is actually pulling OUTWARDS, and the left tower is actually pulling inwards. By putting a strut bar on, you are taking that torsional force and dispersing it amongst two towers instead of one... so really it should be called a force distributor. This will improve the longevity of your chassis, especially if you're running a stiff susspension setup.
Oh and either way, it keeps the towers from flexing the body. Thats why I call it a strut tower brace.

·
Registered
822 Posts
James92Scort said:
nukewater said:
how much and will you ship it to canada for me :D
70 US good? I need to find a box long enough to stick it in.
if he doesn't buy that, i might..... shizat

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
isn't it best that if you put on a front strut tower brace, it's best to put on a rear tower brace as well to kinda neutralize the over/under steer?

·
Registered
822 Posts
DeathSlinger00 said:
isn't it best that if you put on a front strut tower brace, it's best to put on a rear tower brace as well to kinda neutralize the over/under steer?
one would think...... and with the rear tower brace for $70, you can get a front strut brace for $30 from nopi online, plus shipping and handling for everything, so you're under $150 for a complete set of front and rear, including shipping.

·
Registered
822 Posts
DeathSlinger00 said:
are the nopi products of good quality?
i'm pretty sure the front brace they had for $30 was a ractive, which is what james is selling

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
siragan, not arguing here, but isnt the other idea fo a strut bar is for when the suspension fully compresses the towers tend to lean towords eact other and the bard keeps from that happening also.?
that was one reason why the desighn.

·
Registered
451 Posts
siragan said:
right, strut bars are strictly for chassis stiffening, they allow the towers to work as one and not opposed to each other during hard corning.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Quick note for anyone who has done a 2001-2002 SPI swap, don't get the Reactive strut bar. Under accelleration the motor will rock back and mash the IAC plug into the strut bar. After that has happened it grounds out the IAC and it will then cause the car to surge as if you are stomping on the gas and letting off repeatedly until you get off the gas and accellerate super gentle. :cry: I liked my bar though the 5 days I had it on. Will have to custom fab a bar for myself. Until then I look forward to getting my Tie bars from MazdaRacer. 8)

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
if you want to do it right, put in front and rear strut tower bars, and front and rear lower tie bars. that way, you are minimizing (to the extent that you actually can) chassis flex, and directing all that force through the suspension instead. of course, this has the added factor of making your tires do more work, so you could have a handful if you don't have good tires.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Whats the difference between a front and rear strut bar? I mean, couldn't you get a front strut bar and put it in the rear?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts