FEOA Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
1,224 Posts
Are the bolts stripped from like using the wrong size socket wrench? I'd try to put on a size smaller socket by hitting it on with a hammer. second if it was only one bolt i'd put the socket on it but leave room on the bolt so i could weld the socket to the bolt head. You could either leave it that way so next time you only need a socket driver to remove it because the socket is welded to it. Another way would be to weld another nut on top of the bolt and use that bolt to turn them together. And last but not least you could drill it out by using a small drill bit and drilling into the center of the bolt all the way through the whole bolt. Then you use the next size up drill bit and do the same thing. You keep getting bigger in size with the drill bits until its close to the edge of the outside of the bolt and then you just use an easy out extractor to remove the bolt. If you can remove the bolt without damaging the threads just hit up the hardware store and get the same size thread and pitch screw to replace it.

· Premium Member
2,490 Posts
Bomdoutscort said:
Are the bolts stripped from like using the wrong size socket wrench?
That would not be stripped, that would rounded. The head would be round and the socket would slip over the head. I'm pretty sure I know what he means. Ask me how I know.... I went thru the same deal.

· Registered
1,224 Posts
Well rounded is stripped around here. Anyways then you need to remove the a/c condensor and cut about the nuts. I'd take a sawzal to them if they are stripped and just keep turning. Once you get them out weld in new bolts and you'll be ok.

· Registered
2,327 Posts
my 94 EGT did that. what a buddy of mine did is. he found 2 nuts the same size along with 2 bolts. took a piece of steel and drilled 2 holes into it. welded the nuts to it. reamed the holes in the rad support to allow these new nuts, then welded the plate to the rad support, then bolted it back up as you normally would. if i had a camera i would show you. here's the story of MY catastrophy

http://www.feoa.net/modules.php?name=Fo ... ic&t=64310

· Registered
1,224 Posts
Well i guess its a problem that its called something else around here and means the same thing here as rounded means there. And when i said stripped i meant a stripped bolt head which (to me) is the same thing as rounded as you pointed out. Well i hope nothing you say means something else because i'll be sure to badger your about it. Anyways back on topic thats how i would do it the way i said it. I understand about the r134 though.

· Premium Member
2,490 Posts
Badger you? I simply pointed out that I was pretty sure what was wrong and wanted him to understand the difference. You started with the "Well, around here" thing. I'm sure we do say things different 'around here'. You can't expect the whole internet world to know your local idiosyncrasies and not point them out when they're 'different' to what most people know and understand.

My second comment was a joke. Guess you didn't get it. Well, around here it would have been a joke.

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey well I bought a 12x1.25 tap and die yesterday and figured I would give that a shot before I start ripping stuff out and sure enough it worked. Just to clarify, one of the nuts (welded inside the radiator core support) had broke one of the few welds that was holding it down.. So long story short, the nut was sitting crooked but I am still able to get a bolt in there. I'm glad that tap worked so I didn't have to do any major cutting. Thanks for all your replies

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.