FEOA Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In San Diego county a man was just charged with murder in the aftermath of a street racing session gone bad. He was driving a 68 barracuda and plowed into two nineteen year old college students driving some Geo. Long story short his ´cuda torn that Geo in two and killed both of the 19 year olds instantly. these were two people who were not involved in the racing, they didn´t even know what hit them. You can get a little more info out of the latest Car Craft magazine. page twelve, it´s the issue with the big block/ small block showdown. Remember, LEAVE IT AT THE TRACK!!! sorry if I sound like I´m mad, but its stupid stuff like this and all of the high speed flybys from the rice burning crowd that give hod rodding in general a bad name.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I personally find a nice empty parking lot and go wild...

I can´t wait for summertime when I can sign up for some soloII. Anyone else live in NY who does auto-xing?

Anybody know of any tracks in NY? I´d love to see how fast my GT can actually legally go..
And how much is it to run your car at a track? Is there a membership I need? I don´t quite get it. I kinda just want a place where I can go 140mph and not get pulled over or kill people.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Watkins Glen is in NY. I gave you a lot of info on your post in the autox section the other day. ;-)

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Yes street racing is stupid but sometimes you have urges, most of the time I can fight the urges but when I see a neon or cavalier rarin to go in the next lane I feel like I have the need to murder em. I usually can fight off the urge but once in a while I´ve gotta...SO FAR (knock on wood) it hasn´t caught back up with me in the form of an expensive speeding and reckless-driving ticket.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I´ll try to beat someone to just beyond the speed limit, but that´s it. My desire to race ends there (or when a light turns red). When I´m on a track though.. well, okay, I´m not sure.. never really been on one. I will carve up some backroads though.. but I do it alone.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have a friend who liked to drive stupidly fast on dirt roads. Worst of all he did it at night! :-o He did it so long that after awhile he got cocky and thought he was invincible. Well one night he was flyin along like usual and mother nature decided to teach him a lesson. A deer jumped out in front of him. He managed to slow the car down some but the deer caught is right fender and "crunch!". What was a nice lookin 93 Dodge Colt now had a fender that looked liked crumpled aluminum foil. Not to mention you have to be double jointed to get in the passenger door on account of it only opening a few inches. After that you would THINK he would learn his lesson, but he still drives that way and one day his luck is going to run out and he is going to seriously hurt himself or someone else. As for myself I have only ever broken the "limits" once...but thats a different story alltogether.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I drive like a complete idiot, but that´s because I grew up in Southern California....but I agree take it to the track. Plus the track is so much fun.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I like the track better because you get to just race and enjoy it. not worry about totaling (unless you do something really weird!) or getting a ticket etc.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I´m sorry if I came off as sounding a little harsh, but these are things that we all are going to have to deal with. As new laws are enacted to combat street racing, it is this sort of incident that allows politicians to pass laws that are a little to invasive. In some jurisdictions, even if you never break the speed limit, you may still be engaged in a "speed contest" which is the same a street racing as far as the law is concerned. So remember, you may not break the limit but the law is a different story. Be careful, and drive safe. besides, the track is the best place.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
I´ll happily leave it at the track. But I need a HUGE petition to send to Fort Wayne city council to build one inside the city for Saturday night drag racing. The closest track is about an hour and a half away. thats too much driving to get there to do 2 or 3 1/4 passes with a HOT car....

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had some trouble one Friday night from a squirrel (guy who burned off at every stoplight) that just wouldn´t leave me alone. As we came up to about the third light, he rev´s on me once again.

But I had just seen something he hadn´t: A police cruiser parked in the used car lot right next to us at this intersection! :-]

So I nod my head, and point forward. Rev the engine a little. Once. The light turns green. Mr. Squirrel blazes across the intersection; I sit there.

I wait about 2 sec. and start crossing the intersection, like I´m on my way to get a gallon of milk from the 7-11. Aforementioned police cruiser is now out of the lot, accelerating to warp speed with lights flashing, siren blaring, and I had a ringside seat to the whole show! :-] :-]

Three blocks later, the squirrel is telling the nice officer all about it....

Sometimes there IS a cop around when you need one. ;-)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts