FEOA Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
86 gt

My car has this problem when you first start driving down the road after you start it up 90% of the time. When you start driving, it feels as though the brakes are on, you can floor the car and it will just rev and only accelerate slowly ahead. After you get down the road about a 1/2 to a full mile, the car will stop doing this and you can feel it surge ahead as usually you have the gas pedal pushed in farther.

I can't figure out what is going on with it. I took it apart again today and re-greased the caliper pins and measured both the front rotors. Both front rotors were worn identical. Then I went into the rear and took off both drums and measured them, they were within 6 thousands of an inch of one another. Also had replaced the right rear wheel cylinder last week when I did the wheel bearings.

It does it weather or not i reverse out of the driveway and take off, or pull out, either way. I could replace the left rear wheel cylinder as that sides drum was worn more but maybe it could be the master cylinder? I'd really like some input or ideas, it sucks real bad pulling out onto the main road where people are going 50-60 and the damn car wont hardly move for about 1/2 a mile. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Keyul

· Registered
398 Posts
Sounds like a wore out clutch. Brakes would just get worse as they heated up, not better.

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FordMan59 said:
I've had the same thing to happen in my '88 before and bleeding the brakes on all 4 wheels solved the problem.
I'll try it out!

marshpoprock said:
How often do you use the parking brake? Sounds to me like one is sticking just a bit.
I don't ever use the parking brake, it doesn't hold at all so I usually just put the transmission in reverse.

Bear45-70 said:
Sounds like a wore out clutch. Brakes would just get worse as they heated up, not better.
Wouldn't it do this the entire time I drive if it was worn out? Or does some heat after a 1/2 miles cause it to function properly the rest of the drive?

· Registered
398 Posts
ASs the clutch heats up it expands and hooks up a little better. but it will not get better, just worse.

· Registered
5 Posts
Hi, So before you did the brakes you didn't have this problem?

If so then bleed the brakes all 4 like FordMan59 mentioned.

Be sure to check your brake fluid level, from what I understand Clutch Master cyl and Brake Master cyl. share the same fluid.

Check your tranny fluid, they have a Lucas Transmission Fix "Stops Slips". (I'm actually going to try this on my car today, I'll post the results later)

Does your engine rev when you mash the gas? like the gears aren't catching?

Also, you say you don't use your park brake, but when replacing the rear brakes did you adjust the park brake.

Good Luck! javascript:emoticon(':flower:')

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.