FEOA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this question before but it was quite a while ago and im now ready to fix the problem so anyway. The car seems to be unexplainably looseing brake fluid. The only times it seems to loose the fluid is when i drive the car and when it has been left sitting there is no sighn of leakage underneath the car. The car is a manual 91 egt and the last time i posted people suggested a clutch problem. What exactly should i be looking at? I want to fix this problem as cheaply as possible so im hopeing to be able to u-pull it fix this.

· Registered
1,588 Posts
If it was a clutch problem, your pedal would feel strange.

I'll put good money on you having a very small caliper leak.

How often do you have to top up? Daily? Weekly? Monthly?

Mine has a tiny leak in the passenger rear caliper. I have to top up every two months.

· Premium Member
2,664 Posts
You'll have to figure this one out yourself. Look for leaks at the wheels. If none, look at the lines EVERYWHERE and then look around the master cylinder. Also, look under the dash at the brake and clutch pedals. If it's leaking, you'll see it. Hard for us to tell you what or where.

· Registered
686 Posts
I had the same problem and for me it was the clutch master all the way. Look for fluid inside on the firewall around where the clutch pin connects to the master, and your carpet will probably be soaked too if it's the CM.

· Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the suggestions ill get to looking once it warms up enough. I suppose a small calipher leak could be the problem as well but if i drive the car regularly i have to top off every 2 to 4 days... the rate as which it leaks seems to vary.

· Registered
5,229 Posts
Common spot on the rear calipers is where the integral E-brake assembly is. The seal for the pivot point tends to leak. The rear calipers don't push back, so don't try it. There is an allen adjuster gear under a cap bolt to draw piston back.

· Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ive concluded that this problem is most likely the brake master cylinder. I was looking up some of the tell tale sighns of it going out and there are quite a few present. Like when im sitting at a light the brake pedal slowly falls to the floor and in general driveing the brake pedal is squishy on a constant basis. I dont beleive it is a calipher or seal leak simply because it doesnt leak at all untill its driven.

· Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I have a problem, the bottom picture shows what it is. The bolt securing the bottom brake fluid line is stuck and nothing i have done is getting it unstuck. Any suggestions? im useing the proper sized wrench but it has actually started to strip the nut so i stopped trying. I dont think i dammaged it too bad though. The other two were pretty tight as well but both came loose without too much trouble.

· Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BOSS302man said:
I just went and bought a wrench like that one and it fit perfectly on the loose bolts and went on the stuck one with a few small hammer taps and guess what... After pushing with all my effort the bolt finished getting stripped... yay... hacksaw? I dont know what to do... its still stuck... I want to blow it up :mad:

· Registered
157 Posts
you should be able to cut the line below the nut and then for a fee get a local mechanic to put a new nut on and reflare the line. as it is if your brake lines are original and the brake fluid hasn't been changed your lines could probly get changed. i just had a brake line go a month ago because the brake fluid was never changed and this rots the lines from the inside out.

· Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
olesenator said:
you should be able to cut the line below the nut and then for a fee get a local mechanic to put a new nut on and reflare the line. as it is if your brake lines are original and the brake fluid hasn't been changed your lines could probly get changed. i just had a brake line go a month ago because the brake fluid was never changed and this rots the lines from the inside out.
Does the end have to be flared for it to work? i assumed the flare was to keep the nut on. The brake fluid has been regularly flushed for years on this car. It has been in the family since it was new and it was well maintained.

· Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
olesenator said:
well your way ahead of me then lol
and yeah the flare just provides a surface so the nut has something to hold onto.
well then my Gray Mistress wont be needing her flares she will just have to deal with normal old flat tubes... :) this pleases me in a way because when i hack saw off the bolt i will finally get to take my vengeance out on it for frustrateing me all day... Hopefully my EGT will be getting test driven tommorow then. :twisted:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.