FEOA Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright i am buyin a gtx turbo setup from a guy off of erdt (RIP) and i was curious about my exhaust options.

basically i was going to just do like 2.5 crush bent turbo back to a fart can muffler but i really got to thinking about it and i would really like it to sound pretty stock. i know restricting it will only make me loose hp but really the amount i drive the last thing i want is a loud drone of a fart cannon.

so i ask you experts of the FI world... how could i accomplish this. would my stock exhaust work? (fyi ill probably just keep it at stock 8.8 psi for a long while, at least till next track season). i mean i dont want it too restricting. are there stock mufflers off of turbo charged cars i could install on a 2.5 turbo back?

does anyone know what the gtx ran for exhaust? that would probably help me the most... diameter, resonators?... it would probably be impossible to get a gtx muffler but i really think i have decided on super sleeper quiet instead of annoyingly lound but slightly faster. and i figure to please my needs at the track ill do an exhaust cutout before the cat.

basically i just want it to sound stock except for the turbo spool and bov.

any help is appreciated

thanks
-Andy

·
Registered
73 Posts
If you use the stock exhaust from the GT, you will kill your high end power band, but it will be quiet.

I run open downpipe on my Talon, and it is not to loud, but sounds nice, in my opinion, I love the sound of the turbo from the exhaust, and it frees up a lot of top end power. I also have been think of using a cut-out, and my stock Talon exhast, sleeper style.

Really, it doesnt matter what exhaust you get, as long as it isnt open downpipe, becuse the turbo kills the exhaust tone at low rpms. So it won't be extremely RICER loud tone no matter what.

Good Luck with the GTX setup

·
Registered
385 Posts
With my GTX I had a 2.5inch downpipe made I already had a 21/4inch catback. I just cut my stock cat out with the stock GT Maini and Downpipe, and had a pipe made that was 2.5 inch that had the one end stretched to 23/4 to be able to slide over the 2.5 ont he dp and the other end closed down to be able to fit over the 21/4inch catback. Thats the easier way to do it your self. It cost me about 30 fo rthe downpipe and 20 for the test pipe

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
You can pretty much run straight pipe if you wanted and still be quite on a turbo car. Don't run smaller then 2.5" I would even recommend doing 2 3/4" if you are going with crushed bends. Turbo's like to flow.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah... like i said im not too worried about top end mainly i would like a really mellow sleeper style tone untill i hit the cutout. i know ive heard at least one that i can remember TSI with straight pipes at the local track and it really wasent loud at all... but even then i dont think you quite understand how quiet i would like it...

and ill check into wrx and evo mufflers... i am assuming i will pay out the tail pipe for those though (no pun intended :) )

im thinking in the mean time before i dump 500 dollars into a stock exhaust (150 for cutout, prolly 200 easy for muffler then the bent up pipes 200) Im just going to take my exhaust to an exhaust shop and have them fit it to the gtx dp then when i get the money and have shoped around ill go ahead and do an exhaust up

one more question though would i see any adverse affects on my motor, turbo... running my stock gt exhaust other than probably a major loss of top end... would it run hotter (at least the turbo) would i get any back fires from all the back pressure and would these be alright for the turbo?

·
Registered
465 Posts
FordBoy4ever said:
running my stock gt exhaust other than probably a major loss of top end... would it run hotter (at least the turbo) would i get any back fires from all the back pressure and would these be alright for the turbo?
it'll be your low end that will suffer as the turbo will take awhile to spool... i think exhaust has more effect on your low end than your top end.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
GTScort said:
FordBoy4ever said:
running my stock gt exhaust other than probably a major loss of top end... would it run hotter (at least the turbo) would i get any back fires from all the back pressure and would these be alright for the turbo?
it'll be your low end that will suffer as the turbo will take awhile to spool... i think exhaust has more effect on your low end than your top end.
too small of an exhaust would cause more backpressure and it would take away from the higher free flow an engine needs at high engine speeds.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
alright... thanks guys. do any of you know my questions?

" one more question though would i see any adverse affects on my motor, turbo... running my stock gt exhaust other than probably a major loss of top end... would it run hotter (at least the turbo) would i get any back fires from all the back pressure and would these be alright for the turbo? "

·
Registered
820 Posts
Don't buy a new EVO Muffler .Go to the Evo forums and get a used one.Youll probably get it for cheap there.These guys have no use for them...
As for the stock exhaust it shouldnt affect your temperature.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ha HA yeah BOI! after chillin 3 days waiting for someone to bite on the forum i posted on i just recieved an email... a guy in cali is gunna sell me his stock muffler and resonator off his WRX for 60 BUCKS! i dont think an exhaust shop could beat that with a stick.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts