FEOA Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, this has come up before but I got no definite answer from the search I did. I am 99.9% sure my car has a stock amp of some sort. My friend bought a brand new head unit and has the same speakers as me, his HU is 50 x 4, and it doesn't drive them nearly as well, it sounds tinny and crappy. I have the 'Premium' package on the 97 LX that came with stock tape deck, 6 cd changer in the back, and I /think/ stock amp. I've since replaced the stock speakers with 3 ways all around, 6" x 9" Pioneers with a 40 watt RMS and 220 watt max in the back, 5 1/4" round speakers in the front with nearly the same rating. (The max is lower, like 160-200 I think. Not sure.) Normally when you put aftermarket speakers in on the stock HU it sounds like shat. Mine don't.

So my question is, does anybody know where that might be? If you have a second gen, don't be afraid to speak up, any thoughts on where to look will help. It probably won't be fancy looking like the aftermarket ones, so I may have seen it but thought it was the ECU or something. There are 2-3 boxes beneath my ashtray in my car, a small blue one, then a bigger one with long holes all around the edges, then I /think/ I can see something wedged underneath that. I have a Haynes manual but I can't read the wiring diagrams for crap and I don't think they actually tell you /where/ in the car the stuff is located. Any help would be appreciated. When I buy a new head unit I'm gonna wanna take out the stock amp so I don't get interference on my speakers and stuff. I think if I amped the normal speaker leads coming out of the HU by accident, they'd sound crappy.

Thanks.

·
Registered
822 Posts
ok...... you have to describe the other bigger box you found. was it also blue? was it metal? did it have what looked like wings off the sides of it? in the 2nd gen GT with premium sound, the stock amp is underneath the cd player, in like a rack, but it's at the very bottom. it's hard to explain. but if you take the console, it would be in parallel with the cd player, below it.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, it'd been a little while since I looked at it.

There's two boxes (that I can see) that are in line with the console, beneath the radio/ashtray. One is a blue box towards the front, it's about 2" x 2" x 3". I've been told that this is the airbag controller. In front of that, directly beneath the ashtray, is a unit roughly 8" wide by 10" long, and an inch or so thick. It's solid, has no holes in it. It /appears/ (I can't really tell) to have a longish wire harness plugged into one end of it. It's metal, and probably has stickers or something on it but I can't tell. I /think/ it's the ECU. Beneath the seat there's the unit that I was describing, which is more of a cover for (I think) the seatbelt harness detectors. Or something like that. It doesn't really look like an amp at all.

The 8 x 10, the big unit that I was describing, is thick, & you can see it if you take the ash tray out or take the side panels off. (I've had the center console out before but don't feel like doing it today. You gotta take out the seats on my car to get at it.)

·
Registered
822 Posts
yes, the 2x2x3 box would be your airbag module.
the unit beneath the seat would be for the light that comes on when the car is running and you don't have your seatbelt on.
i'm not sure where your ECU on that car is, but how big is the harness, how many wires are on it, and what are their colors? (that is if you can get a look at it without any real effort, if you can't get at it, don't worry about it, we'll figure it out)

·
Registered
822 Posts
oh by the way, as long as you disconnect the amp from the HU, and the speakers, you can leave it in the car, it won't hurt anything.... mine's still sittin in there, but it's not hooked up to anything. i might use it for my other 2 rear channels if i get another set of pioneer 3-ways (6x9s), just so i can pump some power through them.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah but don't the wires run like HU > AMP > Speakers so you have to take the speaker wires off the AMP and run them to the new HU if you wanna do it like that? That's why I wanna know where it is.

·
Registered
822 Posts
ya... i gotcha now..... cuz you were talking about havin to find the amp in order to disconnect the speakers from it, then take the speakers right up to the head unit.... GOTCHA :wink:

·
Registered
822 Posts
ok try this..... open your glove box, and drop it by releasing the sideclips? and check and see if THAT'S where the amplifier is.... other than that, this 8x10 box you spoke of, what are the long holes around the edges? do you have a digital camera? if you can, try and take some pics so we can see.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hm. I really think it's the ECU, but I don't know. I'll see if I can get a better look at it tomorrow when it's light out and I have a camera. There's no real immediate need to disconnect it, it was just kinda nagging at me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I believe that the stock amp is under the driver seat. After a lot of searching and posing of the question I have only been able to conclude that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
97Scort said:
I believe that the stock amp is under the driver seat. After a lot of searching and posing of the question I have only been able to conclude that.
Can anyone confirm this? I have a 2nd gen scort and I've never messed with the box under my driver seat and always wondered what it was.

·
Registered
8,129 Posts
Why would you get a tape deck with the premium package and a cd changer as well?

·
Registered
15 Posts
i have a second gen, with only a cassette deck. They didn't put cd players in, even on the premium audio ones, until the 3rd gen scort.
So it's possible for me to have a "premium" audio scort with only a tape deck. I'm just trying to figure out if this is the case, and then where the amp is.

·
Registered
8,129 Posts
Nate said:
i have a second gen, with only a cassette deck. They didn't put cd players in, even on the premium audio ones, until the 3rd gen scort.
So it's possible for me to have a "premium" audio scort with only a tape deck. I'm just trying to figure out if this is the case, and then where the amp is.
If there is an amp, my guess would be under the carpeting in the trunk.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Man, now you guys have me wondering. I have a 1st gen with premium sound system too. Is there a remote amp for that?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts