FEOA Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, this is mainly for my mom's scort. she owns a '94 wagon, manual with only 45,000miles.
the issue is that recently when switching gears, it is really rough and doesn't like to shift smoothly like it used to. that and it doesnt shift into 2nd nice and clean like the rest of the gears. before someone asks, yes, she does depress the clutch ALL the way, and she drives it like a grandma. is the clutch starting to go? or is this something that can be cured with WD-40?

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
My mother has a 95LX wagon and that same thing happened to her.

Even though it can be anything from a bad throwout bearing to synchromeshes that are going, in the case of my mother, the entire shifter linkage fell through the center console and was dragging on the top of the exhaust system. Heh :)

My first recommendation to you would be to jack the car up and do a quick visual inspection of the shifter linkage and make sure that the bushings are alright. Usually the first thing to go are the bushings.

·
Registered
914 Posts
siragan said:
in the case of my mother, the entire shifter linkage fell through the center console and was dragging on the top of the exhaust system. Heh :)
Oh i know that all too well....When i swapped my engine over summer, mine was rusted and fell through while i was tryin to bolt it back to tranny. Luckily ford sells the whole damn bar and all for like 90 bucks.

Stiff shifting could be a lot of things. Like they said, throw out bearing could be going out... I dont really think the sychros would be the problem...most of the time they cause grinding noises, not stiff shifts...

Last time i had the stiff shifting, there were metal chunks getting lodged in the little metal plate on inside the tranny that serves as a guide for your shift linkage. The metal was from planetary gear chips.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TitoElSpicco said:
.. i guess spray the shifter assembly with wd40 (the bushings?), and if that doesn't work, flush the tranny?

Any funny noises?
there is a funny noise, kind of a "squeak/squeal" noise when you shift from 1st to 2nd nice and slow. now that i think about it; i guess it could constitute as a "grinding" noise. i hope to god that this will be an inexpensive excursion..

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
okay, recently she got her transmission fluid & filter changed.
the shifter is still stiff, and
tonite, when i was driving her, i was having a hard time getting any power to the wheels. am i experiencing slipping?
it's whenever i switch into a gear, and it doesn't seem to shift nice and clean into the next gear. i can have it floored, and you hear the engine whining up, but not much output goes to the wheels.
and, when i parked her, and got out, the smell was intolerable. dude i could smell whatever the hell was burning (i think the clutch was). it was sooooo strong, i had to walk away.

what the hell is going on?!

·
Registered
735 Posts
I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but I've noticed over the past couple months that my stick is squeaking (like rubber on rubber) when I shift into any gear. It seems random though, one drive it will happen, the next time I drive it won't...

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
DeathSlinger00 said:
i can have it floored, and you hear the engine whining up, but not much output goes to the wheels.
I'm guessing it doesn't have a tach. Sounds like the clutch might be GONE!

Since you're having trouble shifting.. I'd suspect the clutch hydraulics may be the cause of the problem for both the burning clutch and the shifting.

1: Check the brake fluid reservoir. Theres a tube that goes from the reservoir to the clutch master cylinder.. if the fluid gets below that tube the clutch master cylinder can suck in air which can cause problems with disengaging the clutch, and could cause the clutch to disengage when the air in the lines gets hot.

2: Have someone mash the clutch pedal a few times while you watch the slave cylinder (on top of the transmission near the front of the engine bay) move (the engine should be off). Does it seem to move all the way out and all the way back in? Listen. Can you hear any air moving around (squish sounds) in the system?

3: Check for brake fluid leaking out of the slave cylinder, lines and master cylinder and then check behind the clutch pedal for any fluid on the carpet or pedals.

If any of these components are iffy, change them out.. and try not to drive the car until then. If you do, be ultra smooth, stay in lower gears and use as little throttle as possible.

How old is the clutch itself? How many miles on it? What kind of miles?

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
my mom talked to our mechanic, and he said it's probably the clutch also.

the clutch is the original from when the car was made in 1994 and has 46K miles. my mom needless to say drives like a grandmother.. (minus the high amount of accidents) :D and very seldom goes outside the city.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
okay. according to a few resources a clutch going bad is just as random as the wind blowing. it can happen at any time under any circumstances. it's just the luck of the draw really.

but i learned a new trick to see whether or not the clutch is going bad; is to sit (with the engine running [obviously]), put the car in a gear - preferrably 5th - and let go of the clutch. if she doesn't stall, it's the clutch. if she doosn't, well, you know the rest..

anyway, my mom's still in the process of getting her car fixed.
if i find out anything else that can be of some use, i'll post it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.