FEOA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, it did it when i bought the car about 6 months ago but not real bad, but the last week its gotten REALLY!! bad, at about 55 MPH the stearing wheel just shakes really bad, just back and forth and will keep doing it till i slow down to like 45 or so, what could this be? and could i fix it myself? i guess everything could be fixed myself, but how hard would this be to fix? let me know thanks!
-Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,709 Posts
It's most likely that your wheel is out of balance.

Jack your car up, check the ball joints for play, and check the tierod ends.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,446 Posts
10 bucks on the outer tie rod end; 5 on the driver's side and 5 on the passenger's side. You gotta grease them every oil change. Easy do it yourselfer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
822 Posts
i'm thinking your balancing on your tires... do you have different tires on each rim? or are they all the same? sometimes a bad mix of tires can cause that, happened on my sister's 2nd gen LX when she bought it, so we just got a new set of 4 for her car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,392 Posts
You need to tell us everything that you have tried so far. Tie rod ends and tire balancing are obvious first choices.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
478 Posts
Quick fix, just drive 54mph :D

-----------
"Men are bachelors by choice. Sometimes it's their choice; sometimes it's
the choice of the women they meet." -unknown
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SyStEmDw said:
Little question, does the shaking go up when you speed up?
Yes, and hear this, yesterday on my way to work the ball joint BROKE! while i was driving to work had it towed and fixed and n ow its WAY WAY WAY Worse, but my tire is now SCREWED do to the ball joint breaking, im going to try getting new tires for the front, and i hope that does it, im low on funds!, and i havnet tryed anything, quick ? thow, if one ball joint breaks, would the other one be close? and it was the drivers side,
Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
576 Posts
I moslty think it's your wheel that is unbalance. It's cause the wheel to go back and fourth, and maybe that's why the bearing ball broke :p
Cost about 30$ for balance all four tire :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SyStEmDw said:
I moslty think it's your wheel that is unbalance. It's cause the wheel to go back and fourth, and maybe that's why the bearing ball broke :p
Cost about 30$ for balance all four tire :p
???? for ya, its REALLY BAD NOW!!!! but the front drivers side tire is screwed, so if i get to new tires for my front and have them balanced, u think that will take care of it???? lmk, i dont want to dump money in this car if its somthing else, ilove my 89 GT but i would like a 2nd GEN if its going to be alot of differnt shit, LMK PLZ before i go get tires! thanks fora ll the help!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,709 Posts
If you have the weekend free, I highly suggest you start digging through boneyards for a usable front clip of a 1st gen. You'll save youself the most money if you pull your own parts and do your own work.

If you can't do your own work, you're probably going to end up spending more on mechanic work and parts than the car is worth. It's all up to you.

How many miles are on the chassis anyways?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
576 Posts
HoKeY said:
SyStEmDw said:
I moslty think it's your wheel that is unbalance. It's cause the wheel to go back and fourth, and maybe that's why the bearing ball broke :p
Cost about 30$ for balance all four tire :p
???? for ya, its REALLY BAD NOW!!!! but the front drivers side tire is screwed, so if i get to new tires for my front and have them balanced, u think that will take care of it???? lmk, i dont want to dump money in this car if its somthing else, ilove my 89 GT but i would like a 2nd GEN if its going to be alot of differnt ****, LMK PLZ before i go get tires! thanks fora ll the help!
If it shake more and more you speed up, it's really something that's unbalance... does the steering shake too?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
SyStEmDw said:
HoKeY said:
SyStEmDw said:
I moslty think it's your wheel that is unbalance. It's cause the wheel to go back and fourth, and maybe that's why the bearing ball broke :p
Cost about 30$ for balance all four tire :p
???? for ya, its REALLY BAD NOW!!!! but the front drivers side tire is screwed, so if i get to new tires for my front and have them balanced, u think that will take care of it???? lmk, i dont want to dump money in this car if its somthing else, ilove my 89 GT but i would like a 2nd GEN if its going to be alot of differnt ****, LMK PLZ before i go get tires! thanks fora ll the help!
If it shake more and more you speed up, it's really something that's unbalance... does the steering shake too?
kinda, its hard to tell when the stearing wheel is jumping so damn bad, i cant even drive the damn thing!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,446 Posts
You're lucky to be alive. I had a friend who had a ball joint go in his Civic at 100 km/hr. He narrowly avoided death and ended up with a real bad case of trouser chili. He had no faith in his car after that so he got rid of it.

Your ball joint is beefier than your tie-rod end. If your ball joint went, you've stressed other parts of your left front end that were probably on their way out before this happened. You need to get a third party to do a good inspection of the underside of your car. You may want a new control arm, new steering, new springs/struts and more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
highanddry said:
You're lucky to be alive. I had a friend who had a ball joint go in his Civic at 100 km/hr. He narrowly avoided death and ended up with a real bad case of trouser chili. He had no faith in his car after that so he got rid of it.

Your ball joint is beefier than your tie-rod end. If your ball joint went, you've stressed other parts of your left front end that were probably on their way out before this happened. You need to get a third party to do a good inspection of the underside of your car. You may want a new control arm, new steering, new springs/struts and more.
i know tell me about it, the breaks are taping now, the front dirvers side of the car is about 6 inchs higher then the rest, theres like 6-7inchs from the tire to the wheel well LMAOand i know im lucky, shit i was scared shitliss when i relized what broke!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
I replaced the ball-joints, end links, wheel bearings and had a shake at the same speed. Did an alignment and had the wheels balanced. Problem gone. No shimmy. Nice ride now.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top