FEOA Forums banner

Staying in gear and wont let out any help please

451 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Beaverboy 
#1 ·
well sometimes I am driving down the road and I come to a stop and I go to put he shifter into neutral and it wont go. I have to yank it a couple of times or drive off and pull it out of gear without the use of the clutch. Anyone had this problem before.

#2 ·
yup...stop driving ur car.. your transmission is shot... that means that something inside the tranny/transaxle has broken and is lodged in the spot where the guide shifts....this is how i foound out i blew my transmission...

I burned out too much and it ate away the spider gears in the transaxle which ate the balancer that goes in the middle of the spider gears...that balancer broke in half 2 weeeks after i got the warning signs(gettin stuck in gear and not able to shift into certain gears....it only happend for about 10 minutes one day...after that, it never happend again till it blew) that rod shot out the back of the tranny case...other half went through the bell housing and ruined the clutch and my car was stuck in gear and wouldnt move...

#3 ·
My ´93 LX won´t come out of 5th from a stop. Been this way for 5 years. Works fine with no sound and actually shifts fairly easily. All the other gears are fine (except for getting into reverse sometimes).

I´m pretty sure it´s a problem with worn engine mounts.

Once the car is stopped and the engine is in it´s most forward position, something must go out of alignment in the shift lever -> selector rod linkage. It might actually be the shifter bushings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.