FEOA Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im starting to rebuild my 1.8 and I was just wondering what parts I should order to gain the most hp. mmrusa.com had a head package for $1600 should I go that way or not???

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
A head package for 1600? you could probably clean, resleave, hone and bore out your block for 1k and then get a set of pistons for it for $500.
I plan on doing that and balancing my crankshaft. plus new pistons, gears, valves, port n polish on the head and intake. I'm going all out....new accessories like the PS pump. new starter, new alternator. etc My car is going to be phat and fast.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
with all of that done what do u think you would run in the quarter? I wanna do pretty much the same thing as you...

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Well are you going to rebuild and turbo it? because when I rebuild my engine I'm aiming for a lower compression ratio (8.5:1 instead of the stock EGT 9.0:1) and Then I'm going to turbo for anywhere from 7 to 14 psi on the street and we'll see how much I can run at the track.

Hopefully with 14 psi I can run a 13.5 in the quarter mile on street tires. 8O If I pull a 13.5 at the track once, I'll be happy with my car. :wink: :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For this summer prolly just rebuild.... Next summer hopefully turbo.Im looking to do every possible thing to my motor when rebuilding it. If I could run a 14.5 I would b happy I dont know if that sounds right for just rebuilding the engine and getting a cat-back and some other little things.

·
Registered
618 Posts
James92Scort said:
A head package for 1600? you could probably clean, resleave, hone and bore out your block for 1k and then get a set of pistons for it for $500.
I plan on doing that and balancing my crankshaft. plus new pistons, gears, valves, port n polish on the head and intake. I'm going all out....new accessories like the PS pump. new starter, new alternator. etc My car is going to be phat and fast.
If I end up getting this GT I'm hoping to get and get it running fine, <crossing fingers>, then I think I am going to do all of this too. Not sure about turbo just yet, if I can find some cheap, but effective turbo parts in a junkyard around here then I might.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Something to consider guys:

If you're certain you're going to do a turbo build, don't get a super duper camshaft made for naturally aspirated performance. Get a mild cam and an adjustable cam wheel.. or if you can find one.. get a turbo cam.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
I had planned on getting the corksport cams and the adjustable gears. They're more aggressive cams but that would leave the intake open longer to allow the turbo to stuff more air in. I dunno if that would be good for the engine but I'll be keeping my stock cams around for tuning if they don't work out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts