FEOA Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright need some help guys.

For the past year i've been unable to start my car by key and clutch. Some reason it just quit working that way. But i've had the clutch switch bypassed so i could just remote start it. Welp, now i have a lil of a problem. That quit working too. One day i go out and it had sat for 2 days and it just wouldnt turn the starter. So i had it pushed and i started it by dumping the clutch. Well worked fine after that. As long as i drove it once a day it would be fine and would start. Welp, i went into the hospital this weekend and when i got out the car had sat for 3 days. Well now it wont start again. So i had it pushed and i dumped the clutch again and it ran fine. I came home and turned it off and now even after its been ran wont start.

First off, what could be some possible problems. Do starters go out suddenly or could my starter had started going bad the first time the car wouldnt start.

Second question. Could i wire the starter to the battery directly w/ a switch on it to work it that way? How many connections does the starter have on it and wich ones do what?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
I think it's the wiring from the ignition switch to the starter itself, that or the connections on the starter are rusting/not connecting.

·
Registered
114 Posts
First check your battery terminals and make sure they are tight like stated before. Then check the wires going to the starter and make sure one of the wires is not grounding itself on the block or the body of the car. If it is not that, it could be the solenoid. You can pull the starter and bench check it by jumping it with a battery. If the starter dont do anything, it is shot, get a new starter.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
welp jamesy, just dropped it of at the shop today....they took a look at it and there's no power leaving the ignition switch so they think thats the problem. i dont feel like fucking w/ it so for the first time i'm letting a repair shop do it. So looks like you were right unless they find something else..

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
welp jamesy, just dropped it of at the shop today....they took a look at it and there's no power leaving the ignition switch so they think thats the problem. i dont feel like fucking w/ it so for the first time i'm letting a repair shop do it. So looks like you were right unless they find something else..

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
Did your solenoid pick up? If not, it's likely your ignition switch (get one from the junker instead of a new one).

If the soleniod is picking up, did you try the old "rap the starter" thing? It's ghetto, but can delay the inevitable...could be sticky/worn brushes, in which case it will start sometimes, but not others. IF this is the case, you can have your starter rebuilt for a few bucks.

If the soleniod picks up but the "rap the starter" trick doesn't work, I'd bet on a corroded wire to the starter.

·
Registered
822 Posts
well, no matter what, you want to make sure that if you don't already, go out to walmart or something, and for a buck or two pick up some of those felt anti-corrosion washers, to put on your battery terminals. that might save you another pain in the neck in the future.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
oh and btw............the reason i was unable to start my car w/ a key for the past while was infact the ignition switch. The reason i couldnt start my car w/ remote start lately was the starter. So all is good and some 550 later its done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts