FEOA Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I basically can bet this is my starter going out on me... sometimes when i go to start my scort it makes grinding noise and wont start then all a sudden its fine and starts... do i need a new starter?..im almost positive......thanx guyz..damn my poor car is falling apart on me!!!! But i guess when ya hit 80K it does that.... :oops:

Laci

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bah humbug, thanx... lets see it was the tires/alignment, and getting a new clutch and tranny mounts-now the list goes on..... new starter, timing belt, water pump, brakes.... what next.... my baby's gonna die!!!! DAMNED cars..... :crybaby:

Laci

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i know im lazy, but is there any hows to's, not just on this forum, with pics... my mechanically blessed friend will help me change my starter, but he wants me to figure out some stuff myself..thanks guys.

Laci

·
Registered
750 Posts
well its really simple. its three bolts i think. And then the two connections on the starter. then it pulls right out. The trick to this is TIGHT CLEAN CONNECTIONS...have fun and enjoy (if you want smoething more in depth itll be simple to find out. I think the haynes has one too)

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
well...I'm not sure how similar the LX is to the GT, but if it is anywhere near each other.... there's 3 bolts as seth said, make sure you unplug your batter first because if you touch the ground to a cross member you'll throw sparks on yourself like I did taking the starter off of PrimerGuru's GT... :oops:

I think the bolts were 10 mm and took a crap load of force to get em off... then there's a few connections...also if the LX has a brace like the GT had you'll have to take that off, it was about a 5 pound brace and I left it off.

·
Registered
135 Posts
hey i know what ya mean.. im still having a start problem.. thought it was the ignition switch but it isnt.. mine doesnt really grind.. mine ill go out and sometimes it just wont start till i keep tryin and tryin real quick then it starts... im hoping maybe somethin is just dirty?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
RoLLiNnCaLi said:
wheres the starter located at?
It's underneath the engine attached to the bellhousing. Go buy the new one then you'll know exactly what it looks like and how everything attaches. :) (If they want your old one in return, you can still go in and ask to see it, they should have them in stock)

·
Registered
15,581 Posts
Assuming that the battery is good and fully charged, and also assuming that the battery connections and ignition connections are good, then I'd also agree that it's most likely a starter.

I've never replaced a starter, but if my memory serves me correctly, it's in a realatively difficult to get to place and you will hae to get under the car to replace it. If the starter that came with the car has a heat shield on it, make sure that the new one also has a heat shield or if it's a separate piece remember to put it back in with the replacement starter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.