FEOA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I turn the key on, I get all my warnings to flash on and off like they should; I can turn the air conditioning on, etc, but my car will not start. I don't even get a peep out of it. This is very sudden, and I don't know what could have caused it. But everything electrical works like they should.

·
Registered
108 Posts
haha yea that happened to me and still does on rare occasions.
when I was changin my clutch I did a big oops when I went to but the starter back in.... I dropped it.it started tho but then later on that same problem you described happen to me.
The problem is the cylinoid inside the starter. it will get stuck. now seeing as all you have to do is barely tap on the starter to get the cylinoid unstuck. I suggest use a tire iron, reach your arm down to the backside of your engine and give it a couple light taps (not too light or too hard) then get in your car and start her right up.... now if that dont work then your starter took a shit.

well I hoped that helped

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I pulled the battery, got it tested, and it's doing pretty badly, way under what it should be. I'm going to run out to get a duralast red top soon, will let know what results are!

·
Registered
9,939 Posts
Even if your battery is bad you should still hear some noise from the starter. It could also be your ignition switch.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lights dim when I hit "run", so I don't think it's the switch. Although I have it priced, and it's well within my price range if it comes down to that.

·
Registered
15,318 Posts
Problem is that auto parts store really can't test a battery particularly good. The true test of a battery is a load test on a full charge. you bring a discharged battery into an auto parts store, and of course they are going to say it's dead, because it won't pass any type of load test.

·
Registered
9,939 Posts
Even on a dead battery a load tester can tell alot. I have tested batteries that have full voltage but once you apply the load the voltage drops to zero. Once a battery is like that there is no bringing it back.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Battery Blitz

Sometimes you can get the condition where an internal connection between the cells in a battery can 'phud' out ( for lack of a better word)
The cells are fully charged and you can get full voltage for small things but as soon as you hit a larger load ( like the starter) it goes ' phud ' and you get nothing.
I had it happen once in the middle of cranking, it just quit. I took it back to where I got it as it was still quite new and the man tested it. First with a hygrometer and it said full charge, then with a heavy load test and it went ( once again ) 'phud '. The man said " I see what you mean " threw it on the pile and gave me another one.
( I guess 'phud' wasn't such a bad choice after all)
But do check your clutch switch . One of mine was at the point where you had to put your toe on it and push real hard to crank. Then I had a few times where you couldn't get it to work at all so I broke down and adjusted it.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
yeah a starter takes a buttload of energy to start, your battery can have enough power to run the radio, turn your dash lights all on, you hit the starter and POOF nothing, the battery just don't have it in it sometimes. the battery in my LX did that, I jumped another car with mine still running, then once the other car was running I let mine run for another minute shut it off, the subs were still hitting like crazy I made sure, came back 2 hours later, had to bump start my way outta there.

my gut answer is bad battery, replace that and problem should be solved and yes they can just GO that fast.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Your quickest way to eliminate starter as an issue is to get under it (use safety of course) and see if you can "jump" the solenoid wires. If the starter cranks normally, you have a power issue. If no go, you need a starter. Test for power to the small wire, should have 12V when ign. in crank. Check condition of battery and starter connections, I need to replace my starter cable and some times it takes several pumps of the clutch switch to make it crank.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cool guys, thanks for all the help. brought the battery in the AZ, tested it, no good, so i bought a duralast red top. put jelly on it, put the connectors back on, started it up better than ever. My problem was the crappy AZ used battery I had in it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts