FEOA Forums banner
41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
You have the harbor freight trans jack too? Are we brothers? The only problem with mine is it rolls too good. It flew at me when I was installing my trans.

Sounds like a good idea with the bolts. Good way to prevent damaging the splines. I really need an upgraded trans. Not sure why, just nervous on building one.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
This is what I used to find the courage to crack open mine...(actually it was a pdf on line by old TeanZX2 that was on my defunct tablet and lost forever).
G-series 5 Speed Transmission – Welcome to King6fab

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
This is what I used to find the courage to crack open mine...(actually it was a pdf on line by old TeanZX2 that was on my defunct tablet and lost forever).
G-series 5 Speed Transmission – Welcome to King6fab
I bled the slave and still catching on starting.

I examined the shifter (B&M) and it is jammed to one side. I cut out the Ultra Gray and loosened the pivot pins (my McGyver) and will take it out clean and lube. Reinstall, tighten the pins and add Ultra Gray. Since the car has the moonroof I bungie the shift knob and lock the free end in the moonroof and let set overnight. It last a few year the last time; maintenance?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I bled the slave and still catching on starting.

I examined the shifter (B&M) and it is jammed to one side. I cut out the Ultra Gray and loosened the pivot pins (my McGyver) and will take it out clean and lube. Reinstall, tighten the pins and add Ultra Gray. Since the car has the moonroof I bungie the shift knob and lock the free end in the moonroof and let set overnight. It last a few year the last time; maintenance?
Seems like your hitting some hurdles.

Thanks for the guide. There is a video on our trans on YouTube as well.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Good to see progress.

I’m still having problems with the 2001 MTX Black and the transmission/shifter. It was stuck in reverse. Today I disconnected the shift linkage at shifter. I went to a recommended transmission rebuilder and they no longer rebuild MTX; said it is not worth the special tools required. The transmission rebuilder recommended another rebuilder where I ask for a rough quote. I cannot give you one as you never know until you open it up.

I’m thinking this may be a niche market since it seems no one wants to bother with MTX. Draw on some of my VA benefits and go to school for transmission rebuilding for my supplemental retirement income. In the short term I may have the 2001 rebuilt by the only MTX rebuilder.

Btw, I live in the county seat where we have much industry and a great many “gear heads” with project cars all over the place.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I’m still having problems with the 2001 MTX Black and the transmission/shifter. It was stuck in reverse. Today I disconnected the shift linkage at shifter. I went to a recommended transmission rebuilder and they no longer rebuild MTX; said it is not worth the special tools required. The transmission rebuilder recommended another rebuilder where I ask for a rough quote. I cannot give you one as you never know until you open it up.

I’m thinking this may be a niche market since it seems no one wants to bother with MTX. Draw on some of my VA benefits and go to school for transmission rebuilding for my supplemental retirement income. In the short term I may have the 2001 rebuilt by the only MTX rebuilder.

Btw, I live in the county seat where we have much industry and a great many “gear heads” with project cars all over the place.
See thats what im nervous about who can actually rebuild these transmissions. I need mine rebuilt and mfactory in it. I was actually looking at autozone to see if they sell a rebuild. I can live without an mfactory but it would be nice as I add on power.

So are you rebuilding yours now?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
See thats what im nervous about who can actually rebuild these transmissions. I need mine rebuilt and mfactory in it. I was actually looking at autozone to see if they sell a rebuild. I can live without an mfactory but it would be nice as I add on power.

So are you rebuilding yours now?

Not yet. I'm thinking of rebuilding my spare for practice. I suppose I could go to Mazda service for specs and tolerances or look them up in the Machinery handbook. I'm a retired machinist and have most of the inspection tools. My former employer gave me a 24" surface plate (good for checking flatness of heads), and I have height gages, pin gauges .010 thru .625, dial indicators, mikes, calipers & etc. If I need something special I can fabricate it our buy it. We have an industrial supplier for bearings and such near by.

You never did say; did you do your own bodywork?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Not yet. I'm thinking of rebuilding my spare for practice. I suppose I could go to Mazda service for specs and tolerances or look them up in the Machinery handbook. I'm a retired machinist and have most of the inspection tools. My former employer gave me a 24" surface plate (good for checking flatness of heads), and I have height gages, pin gauges .010 thru .625, dial indicators, mikes, calipers & etc. If I need something special I can fabricate it our buy it. We have an industrial supplier for bearings and such near by.

You never did say; did you do your own bodywork?
Oh wow, then you'll be very well positioned to rebuild your trans. I wish I had that kind of knowledge.

No much body work needed on my car. I installed all the pieces and had the west wing kit painted. Between the hood, kit and paint was $2000.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Oh wow, then you'll be very well positioned to rebuild your trans. I wish I had that kind of knowledge.

No much body work needed on my car. I installed all the pieces and had the west wing kit painted. Between the hood, kit and paint was $2000.

I found another broken part in my spare trannie...

I also made a pattern for the reinforcing plate...

Replacement parts are on order and still waiting to here from a bearing distributer on the shift shaft bushings.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I found another broken part in my spare trannie...
View attachment 51335

I also made a pattern for the reinforcing plate...
View attachment 51336
Replacement parts are on order and still waiting to here from a bearing distributer on the shift shaft bushings.
What do you plan to use on the reinforcement plate? I'm sure some of us would be interested in that if you sold it.

Where did you buy the new bearings and syncros from?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
What do you plan to use on the reinforcement plate? I'm sure some of us would be interested in that if you sold it.

Where did you buy the new bearings and syncros from?

I'll measure the thickness, but likely .125" thick 1018 cold rold steel (finished surface both sides.

Mazda still sells replacement parts; just tell them a year 2000 Protégé with MTX.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Have you ever come across like Napa, autozone or anyone selling our trans as reman?

No I never tried.
Perhaps a used one online and have it rebuilt.

There is only one junkyard in a 30 mi radius that lets go in the yard and pull you own part.

Or have the local junkyard get you one.

I ordered the steel for the reinforcing plate.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts