FEOA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so here is my problem. i have a 92EGT 5spd I go out to start the car this morning and it fires right up i drive it down to the store and now it won't turn over not even a click. It push starts just fine. so i did get it home. My question is? are there any common issues with these starters/ignition switch/whatever else that controlls the starter. I want to check these before i go ahead and replace the starter. maybe i can save some $$$$$
Thanks
Ty

·
Registered
74 Posts
If there is no sound at all when you turn the key all the way on you can run a hard wire from your starter to your battery to see if your starter is working.

Turn your key on as if you where going to push start it. and then tap the hard wire from your starter to your battery if it doesnt turn then its your starter you can try to tap it to see if its stuck too, but if it does turn over then it sounds like you have a ignition problem. Check your fuses and if nothing out of the ordinary check your ignition switch.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fuses are fine i'll have to give the starter wire trick a try i was going to jump it with a screwdriver but i couldn't reach it from above.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok so i jumped it and nothing moved :( so i pulled it and $130 and some busted knuckles later i've got a remaned starter, but that wasn't the issue the ign switch connector is loose and i have to wiggle it to get the starter working. but the strange thing is that the starter tested bad as well so i would have needed one in the near future anyways lol
:p

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
and while i was under the car ifound out that someone had disconnected the coolant line that runs to the throttle body. and that my oil pressure sensor didn't even have a wire connected to it

·
Registered
74 Posts
BOSS302man said:
Well, any store selling a $130 started will be SURE to tell you that the one you brought in is no good..... Even if it is good.....
True that!

Though when you run a straight positive lead from your battery to your starter and nothing happens im pretty sure indicates its a bad starter as well. Unless you have a completely dead battery.

but that wasn't the issue the ign switch connector is loose and i have to wiggle it to get the starter working.
What connector? the one that actually goes on the starter? You might need to crimp it a bit for a better conection when removing it could have opened the gap more to where now its loose.

·
Registered
5,792 Posts
Ignition switch is bad. Happens with these cars. My 91GT would have left me stuck at work if it wasn't for my remote start.

·
Registered
5,792 Posts
picotte21 said:
and while i was under the car ifound out that someone had disconnected the coolant line that runs to the throttle body. and that my oil pressure sensor didn't even have a wire connected to it
Only time you would ever see the oil pressure light is if you had no oil and your motor was about 30 seconds from blowing up.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I always saw mine on really hard right turns, never leaked or burned oil though.

·
Registered
5,792 Posts
alscort93 said:
I always saw mine on really hard right turns, never leaked or burned oil though.
I don't see how. It's an oil pressure light, not a oil level light. Turns should have nothing to do with it.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I don't know either, it was strange.

·
Registered
5,792 Posts
alscort93 said:
If I were you then I would STOP taking hard right cornners. If you do really see the oil light then that would most likely mean the oil is sloshing away from the pick in the pan and you are breifly get 0 oil pressure. I new a guy that fried a motor because of that.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Onegimp said:
Ignition switch is bad. Happens with these cars. My 91GT would have left me stuck at work if it wasn't for my remote start.
Yea i still think its the ignition switch but check your connections on your battery too.. Sometimes if those are not 100% tight or have corrosion on them they can cause a bad connection and basically make it start when it wants too as well.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Onegimp said:
alscort93 said:
If I were you then I would STOP taking hard right cornners. If you do really see the oil light then that would most likely mean the oil is sloshing away from the pick in the pan and you are breifly get 0 oil pressure. I new a guy that fried a motor because of that.
I haven't had the car in 3 years, darn wiring gremlins. Well I still have the car, it's in shell form sitting on cinder blocks :D

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well the starter was bad haven't had an issue since replacing it. but i did clean all the connections on the starter, battery, and ign switch just to be sure.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts