FEOA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
its a 91' 1.9 a/t. At a stop, in gear, the engine dies. Before doing so ihe engine shakes. The idle drops to about 600rpm. It has a new timing belt and water pump. The cylinder head has been rebuilt. I cleaned the MAF sensor, and replaced the IAC. Theres no codes. I does have a lifter tick, but I hear thats normal. Any thoughts? Please help!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had similiar problems before. The first time there was a tear in the rubber boot that goes in between the breather box and the intake. Since it sucked air in after the maf it through everything off. You had to keep on the gas to keep it going. Luckly a good wrap of electrical tape got me going until I could get a boot from a junk yard. Second time was because the intake gasket was leaking on the far passenger side and sucking air in. It made a whiring noise. There was a lot of stuff to remove to replace the gasket so I did another back yard fix and packed the leak with RTV let it dry for a couple of hours and then smeared another round on it. Worked like a champ and that was 2 years ago.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Check the condition of your oxygen sensor.... at the base of the radiator on the exhaust pipe. If its really rusted on you'll need the special tool for it, mine came off with a standard vice grip.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Similar problem.

i've got a similar problem on my '96 1.9. It started the last few weeks now and it's got me scratching my head;seems to be getting worse. I also have ticking lifters. The car runs and drives fine until i get to a stop light or a drive thru and i'm idling for a while. Then the idle starts to lope/miss, and the car eventually stalls. It's happening more and more often.

Yesterday, i removed and cleaned the MAF and IAC, and no improvement. The air filter, spark plugs, cylinder head, timing belt, oil pump, fuel filter, water pump, and all the gaskets and seals were new last May. It seems almost like there is a vacuum leak or something, so i think today i will try spraying some brake or carb cleaner around the intake and what not. The other thing i thought to check is the fuel pressure when it starts acting up; maybe a fuel pump?

Another thought i had was the crank pos sensor or cam pos sensor.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i think i found my problem.

I popped the hood today with it running and took some intake/throttle body cleaner and sprayed it around all the vacuum lines and intake. Everything was fine until i got to the intake. I sprayed underneath where it bolts to the head and the engine started running rougher.

So i have a bad intake gasket. Does anyone know where to get a really good quality rubberized one? The one that came in my gasket kit was a paper type one and looked pretty crappy. Fel-pro only has a one-year warranty on it. I put it on anyway, thinking that it was new and should have a good long life. i guess i was wrong.

So what's the easiest way to change it? When i installed it last time, the engine was out of the car. i lost my book. Do you have to pull the engine mounts and tilt the engine forward?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Batman-

I coated my Fel-Pro paper intake gasket with Black high temp silicone.
Torqued the intake bolts in sequence and still working fine after 1500 miles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts