FEOA Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2001 ZX2 with 90,000 miles. I've changed the plugs, wires, O2 sensor (just the upper, I'll have trouble getting the lower). It's idling rough whenever I come to a red light, sometimes stalling. I've finally gone to Autozone and was able to pull the codes, I've got just one, P0171: system running lean (bank 1). I need some help to know where to go from here. I've checked all the tubes and hoses, they all seem to be in top shape, no wear. Please help!
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Sounds similar to mine, but when I had the diagnostic done it said that "Ignition Coil B" was malfunctioning. I have a 97LX. I replaced that, but its still doing it. Its sitting in the shop right now because I couldn't get it started after the last time it stalled. I'm waiting until tomorrow to hear from them and see whats going on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How do I check for a vac leak? I've visually checked the hoses and tubes that I can reach, I've felt along them for damage and I can't seem to find anything. Where is the intake hose? I'm a newbie when it comes to cars, so I might not know the names of the different parts.

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
You can buy a vacuum tester for very little money and it should provide instruction.

The intake hose runs from your air filter to the throttle body. It's black and made of rubber and is bigger in diameter than all other black rubber thingies in your engine bay. It's probably 2 feet in length overall. Hard to miss. If your head is by the muffler, you're in the wrong spot. However, I wouldn't expect a hose problem on a car that new.

Try cleaning and disconnecting/reconnecting you MAF as marclar suggests. I think your car has a problem with intake manifold leaks. At idle, pop the hood and listen for a hissing sound around there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't hear any hissing sounds. I hope it's not the MAF, I understand it's not too cheap. I looked at it and it is clean.
Thanks for the suggestions!

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Well it depends on where you get you MAF on how much you will spend. I got a 95 MAF off of ebay for $5. Best $5 I have ever spent. LOL. And just because it's clean doesn't mean anything. They will go bad reguardless but I'm not sure it's an MAF issue. Possibly you have an injector that isn't firing since you are getting a lean burn code. You might take them out and get them tested and or cleaned. One way or another you aren't getting enough fuel for the amount of air it's getting. It's either unmetered air getting into the intake tract (vac leak or bad MAF) or a faulty injector. Hope that helps a little.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ended up replacing the PCV Valve on suggestion of a friend. It did need to be replaced, but the car still is idling rough. Now though, I can hear hissing in the engine. I checked and found a couple of hoses that lead into the VMV unit that looks bad. One is cracking right at the VMV and the other's exterior is flaking off.
I don't know what to call the hoses, one said "GAS/FUEL ABG 1 06" and is about an inch thick, and the other has no markings and is about 3/8-1/2" thick.
Can you help me with what they're called and if this is something I can replace myself without too much difficulty.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
well, you get a can of seither AKA starting fluid.. and spray one vaccume at a time... if the idle picks up (like a rev) then you have a leak..

This is no easy task seeing on the 2.0DOHC the vaccume lines are diffcult to get too..

IMHO, it sounds to me like a MAF problem. if you get one online and not from a dealer you $ave allot.. Here is one I seen on eBay it has 3 days left and it is .99 cents..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I do want to replace the lines since one is cracking and the other is dissolving. I was hoping to get away with not getting a MAF.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay, so, I've replaced the 2 lines going to the VMV that I saw were starting to go. It idles better now, however, I've got a loud hissing sound now coming from between the engine and the firewall. Does anyone know what and where I can look for the source of that?

Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts