FEOA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I hope its not getting close to the end, but this morning it was running great. I drove my g/f to work, and when I was ready to back out and leave, I looked in my passenger mirror, stepped on the gas and started to release the clutch, when I noticed SMOKE!!!! So I stopped revved it again and it didnt smoke at all. :scratch: I drove it around today and I didnt notice anything. I can revved it out and run to the back and theres no smoke.

Then, I went to pick her up after work, and when I was ready to leave it did it again!!!!!! SO, once again i revved it up and it still puffed out a white cloud. After a second it quit. WTF is goin on here????

·
Registered
818 Posts
Heavy, white smoke that tends to 'hang around' is an indication of coolant entering the combustion chambers. This can be the result of a leaking (internally) head gasket, cracked head, or even possibly an intake problem, albeit unlikely.

Sounds like an intermittant leak right now but believe me it will gradually get worse until you suffer so real engine damage.

Now it's also possible you're having some unburned fuel blowing out the tailpipe... this can be due to a fuel injector hanging open, or a leaking fuel pressure regulator... but you'd likely be experiencing problems with how it runs if this were the case.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
or if it's burning oil real bad, it may be something as simple as my moms little wagon and be the PCV Valve going bad. Yes, I can understand if you just replaced it, we did too. we put a rag over it and drove it for a few days and the smoking stopped so we replaced it. No smoke since.

Seems that with Purilator PCV Valves, about every other one is crap. This time when I bought the replacement, I bought 2 just in case, and replaced it in my moms car and mine when they both worked :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay well the head gasket makes sense. But im close to sure that it might be oil. light light blue smoke and it smells like oil. But the head gasket just seems to make more sense as to why its not "all the time" The motor does have 206K on it. So Im expecting it to pop soon. I just hope it lasts til tax time so I can afford some of my plans. ;)

·
Registered
120 Posts
I dealt with a 1.8 SOHC motor with similar issues before I rebuilt it. Sometimes when I merged onto the highway, I got a short burst of white smoke and sometimes when it was started I got bluish/white smoke. Other times it would be completely fine, no smoke at all.

In my case it was a broken oil control rings, resulting in low compression on 2&3, excessive crankcase pressure, and oiling problems on those cylinders. This caused the head to develop a hot-spot between those cylinders, eventually blowing the head gasket. I would do a compression test on your motor since it has 206k.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
dude, b4 I'd pin it on the Head gasket i'd at least try the PCV valve. What, $2? My moms only really smoked on acceleration and crankup in the mornings. But it was like a huge plumb of smoke. I've got over 200k on my engine, the only thing I've replaced is head, head gasket, waterpump, and belts. If the head gasket was bad, you would have a serious problem getting out on the road, lack of power due to low compression. NTM, if you check your spark plugs, you'd have oil caked on the Iode.

NTM, usually, with these cars, if the head gasket is ideed leaking, then you would have exhaust boiling the coolant reservour. Maybe while running, maybe a few seconds after you cut the car off, but it would. Worst case senario is light brown, milky oil where the Gasket is leaking between the oil and water journals.

IMO, just chang ethe PCV 1st, b4 assuming it's the darn $80 Head gasket kit!

·
Registered
927 Posts
Intake gasket between #3 and #4...

·
Registered
31 Posts
What does the smoke smell like? Now I'm not telling you to suck on the tail pipe, but the odor will tell you everything. A "sweet" smell is coolant. I suffered the same problem and now it has returned. I guess I am looking for a new head and another top end rebuild.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
dave8338 said:
Intake gasket between #3 and #4...
that's what i was gonna say.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts