FEOA Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How would I change my rear speakers? Would I just cut the wires and re-wire the new speakers? If not what should I do and if I change the rear speakers do I have to change the front as well?

·
Registered
1998 ZX2
10,065 Posts
You could cut the wires but they do make speaker wire adapter that you hook your aftermarket speakers to and they plug into the factory harness. I got mine at Autozone I think. You don't have to change the fronts if you change the rears. Hopefully you have a new head unit as well otherwise changing the speakers isn't worth it. The sound the stock radio outputs to the speakers is headache inducing. When I changed just the headunit it sounded completely different.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Speaker

Okay thanks a lot!! I don't currently have a new head unit but I will soon, I am re-doing the inside of my 2003 ZX2 so the back panel that covers the speakers under the back window I am making it leather instead of cotton so I just thought I would change the speakers while I have it all apart because I will end up doing it anyway, but thanks for your help. I don't know much about cars but I am trying to learn as much as I can.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Speaker

Would it matter what wattage I put in or is there a certain amount of watts my car could take? Mine are just stock now but if I changed them to a higher watt would that cause any problems?

·
Registered
1998 ZX2
10,065 Posts
The wattage shouldn't cause any problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I connect a positive to a negative or a negative to a positive would that short out my speakers or would they just now work because I don't know which one is positive or negative.

·
Super Moderator
6,174 Posts
if you don't wire all the speakers the same, they will be "out of phase" and you will lose some bass response. the factory speakers are all the same as far as polarity. use a 9v battery to test which is positive and which is negative- if the speaker cone moves out you have the + hooked up to the + on the speaker.

·
Registered
1998 ZX2
10,065 Posts
You won't blow your speakers if they are hooked up backwards but if you have some one way and some the other it will sound really weird. Just look at the back of your current speakers and the new ones. If a wire is connected to the left on the factory speaker then connect it to the left on the aftermarket speaker and so on. Almost speakers all have the same polarity setup, right side positive, left side negative.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you wire your speakers up in opposite polarity, they will just work backwards...hence, the coil will produce an electromagnetic field in the opposite direction and the speaker woofers will be pulled inward instead of outward. but use what the others have told you about testing for polarity. the 9v battery works well. as for the wattage...pretty much ANY aftermarket speaker will handle well over what your stock unit can put out. but...if you want to do this right...then choose a set of speakers that can handle the wattage that your (soon to install) aftermarket head unit supplies. and take into account any applifiers that you wish to install and so forth. and theoretically you don't have to touch your front speakers just because you change the rear ones....again unless you upgrade to a high powered head unit and/or amplifiers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.