FEOA Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, so ive had that tapping sound going on for a couple weeks, i had always thought it was the motor was cold. im driving back from a day of snowboarding and the car is running, then suddenly a horrendous knocking sound, and i swear i heard something shredding. so i pull over, and turn off the car. I turn it back on to see if i could find the problem, and i couldnt, but it ran really rough. i turned it off and got it towed home. im nervous it might be a valve seat, as my friend said it sounded like a loss of compression, im hoping it isnt something like that, as ive just replaced the transmission and dont have the money to repair right now.

im basically looking for what to do now, its at my house and in the morning im going t olook at it some more, take off the timing cove,r check the plugs etc but is there anything else i could look for?

· Super Moderator
5,987 Posts
1. pull plug #4
2. confirm electrode is smashed, shiny, or just otherwise damaged.
3. cuss repeatedly.

sounds like a dropped valve seat. the noise was your "warning"

· Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, i took out the spark plugs, and none of them are damaged. they all look the same, no shineeness or anything, infact the sparkplugs were the problem. plug number 3 was really loose, so loose that when i pull the plug wire the spark plug went with it. so i tightened them all up, and tried starting it, and it works!, no loud pinging or anything!

· Super Moderator
5,987 Posts
dodged a bullet, you did.

the matrix is strong in this one.....

· Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, does anyone have an idea why a sparkplug would become really loose suddenly? i changed the plugs in june, and it wasnt like that before.
now theres no ticking noises at all!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.