FEOA Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banhammer available, no waiting!
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang,

Here is my question that I'm positive somebody can help me on. I had my Scort's head rebuilt back in July after the head gasket went out. The gasket went out at the shop I was taking it too. The car never had any problems with overheating so no head damage or engine damage was done. After I get the head back, I noticed that the car smoked a little on startup but not before that. About a week after I got the car back, the car still smoked on startup and got a little worse the longer the car sat up. Now I walk to work everyday so my ride doesn't get used all that much except weekends. Now I took the car back to the shop and they said I burnt some of my piston rings causing the car to smoke. Now I consulted with four different mechanics that I know personally and they all said that if the rings were burnt, the car would smoke while driving and just not on startup. They said it sounds like the valve seals are not sealing correctly lettting oil to settle back into the engine. I take the car back to the shop and I explain my findings plus my thoughts as well. They don't agree with me but said to leave the car with them for awhile. Now they had the car and said they were going to check the valve seals and replace them if necessary. When I got the car back, it still smoked and when I looked under the hood...it looked like nothing was touched. There was dust still on the valve cover from when I first left it there. They are saying I have oil in my crankcase breather filter which might cause my car to smoke on startup. I told them that's not it b/c that oil residue has been there since I've owned the car and my car has never, ever smoked until after they reubuilt that head.

Well needless to say I contacted the BBB and it's just my word against theirs. The only way I can prove that they are at fault is by getting the head rebuilt somewhere else and seeing if that fixes it. 93EGTinLR (Mike) is going to help me pull the head and get it rebuilt somewhere in Little Rock. And if this fixes the problem, I'm going to take these boneheads to civil court and get my money back plus what it's going to take to fix it again.

Now my question is.....Does it sound like the head would be causing a smoking startup, but not smoke while driving it?

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Those other guys were right. The valve seals are bad. What's happening is that the oil that sits up by the valvetrain is seeping down through the valve guides and past the valves. The oil then accumulates on the top of the piston and around the rings, and gets burned when you start the car. The amount of oil that seeps down through to the pistons is a function of time. The longer you let the car sit, the more oil will sit down by the pistons. Eventually, all the oil will drain out from the valve head down into the pistons.

The first gen RX-7s are notorious for this just due to the design of the rotary.

It's not a big deal if you don't care, but it does mean that your valve head is getting old and is due for a rebuild.

·
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, they said they replaced the valve guides, valve seals, resurfaced the head, pressure tested it before putting it back together the first time. My thing is they didn't do it right the first time and don't want to go back and redo it. They know they won't get any money for the redo. I could live with it smoking, but after dumping 800 hard earned dollars on my car that didn't smoke before hand....I'm out for blood!! :lol:

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
If you're out for blood, cut off the heads of the mechanics children and put them on the fenceposts outside their houses. That's what I did. I mean... didn't do. *cough*

·
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL :lol: Hmmmmmm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts