FEOA Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How would i go abouts doing that? I know i see sum ppl with the middle wiper at a 45 degree on their windshield... but that doesn't look like it's wipe the majority of the windshield. I was wondering how im/possible would it be to take the wipe motor off of the wagon and stick it in the front. I say this because the wipe on the wagon has a greater range of motion. BUT i was also thinking it might not work because the rear wagon wiper arm is smaller and might not be able to rotate the larger front wiper arm.. lemme know whatchya peeps think.. thanks!

OH!! i fergot. I also saw a Benz with one.. the front motor had an almost 180 degree ragne of motion... how hard would that motor be to find and mod? thanks

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Steve said:
I've seen mercedes with a single wiper before. Looked cool :D
What does one stand to gain from doing this?
Nuin really.. just detail.. and looks cool and shtuff.. why do people paint their interior or paint their valve colour.. just to make it look good and customize how they like it. das all..

·
Premium Member
3,291 Posts
if you but a larger wiper blade it will reach. i forget how many inches fits pefect, but it should urn just under the top of the window. won't be 180 degrees range of motion but it will clean it all.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
  1. Mono-Wipers:
    • Why they're cool:
      • Racecars use them.
      • They make a street car look modified.
    • Pros
      • Lighter weight: Racing mono-wipers use a much lighter linkage and, of course, only half the arms.
      • Faster wiping: Since a mono-wiper only moves one blade, the linkage can be tuned to wipe a greater area at a higher speed (taller gearing in the linkage). The faster a blade moves across a racecar's windsheild, the more effective the cleaning and the less time the wiper arm spends obstructing the view of the track.
    • Cons
      • Faster wear on single blades. Since the blades wipe a larger area, they must be replaced more frequently under heavy use. Under light use, a single arm blade will last as long as those in a multi arm setup. (no problem for racecars)
      • Leave an obstruction in the view out the window. Even good racecar designs usually only wipe a large enough area for the driver to see out of for high speed driving (narrow view). Low speed / sharp turn maneuvering his hindered by poor vision.
  2. Mercedes Mono Arm
    • Large, heavy single wiper.
    • Cam action so that the wiper sweeps up toward the top of the windsheild, right before it reaches the top, the pivot point moves up the arm so that the blade wipes across the top of the windsheild. This covers more of the windsheild than most normal multi-wiper systems and doesn't need to be mirror-cloned for LHD and RHD markets. The wiper also folds down into the cowl when not in use so that it doesn't obstuct the driver's view at all.
    • All of the high-speed wiping, All of the bling, All of the weight. A cool road system.
  3. '45deg hackjobs'
    • Do not save weight by more than 1 wiper arm.
    • Do not sweep any faster.
    • Do not cover any more area than a standard passenger-side wiper on a two-arm system.
    • Obstructs view... especially annoying for anyone in the passenger seat.
    • Cheap and easy (but hey, you get what you pay for)
  4. Rear wagon wiper on windsheild:
    • Slow
    • Slow
    • Did I mention that the only speed of that wiper is 'Slow'?

Don't get me wrong... 'hackjob' isn't meant as derrogatory... just that remounting your passenger-side wiper isn't exactly optimal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have the single wiper on mine and after i did everyone in my neighborhood with civics did the same to their cars....its not hard...look at the bottom of t he wiper arm and you'll see a little round thing(ill see if i can find the old pic i have to show u what im talking about)...if u pop it off underneath u will find a bolt...undo the bolt...the taking ur time, pry the wiper arm off with a flat head screwdriver...its gonna take awhile to get the wiper off but just be patient...the best size wiper blade to get is 22in i believe...im not sure what my size is but i think its 22..

·
Registered
209 Posts
Nice writeup Beav. Yeah, 2 wipers is better I think unless you do it the RIGHT way. And it's still a negligible weight loss if you do it right.

Does my car have an aftermarket arm on the drivers side, or do you guys all have to flip the brackets around when you install blades on that side? The driver's side has a larger bracket than the passenger as well. It was a pain in the arse to figure out at first.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
just take off the passenger side wiper arm, then take off the drivers side one and put it back on so it sits in the passengers view, and test it out

tada done

but ya the bottom left hand corner of the windshield gets covered in dirt and you cant see when you turn left not very smart

and ya i had this on my 3rd gen but not on my gt which i have now

·
Registered
52 Posts
i just took miine off because after awhile every civic on the street had the songle wiper...besides here in oregon it rains som much that u r better off with 2 wipers...if u r gonna do the single wiper mod, then get a 22"-24" blade.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts