Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to purchase a 1965 Ford Mustang Coupe with the 200 cid inline six and a three speed trans for $500 running. From what I've been told, all it needs is some tires and some starter fluid to get it going. I'm having a co-worker of mine come with me to check it out before work tomorrow. I'm fighting with the decision though...reasons below:

Just bought the 2003 ZX2 for far too much, spent $2000 on it already. Dropped another $70 today on MX3 seats for it. No facilities to park/work on the car (if I can't convince the guy to let me use his parking lot) Car needs new floor pans ($), tires ($), title and registration ($$$), new paint ($$$), and some bondo...

It's all time and money that I could get, but don't necessarily have right now...I need help...should I? or not?

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Yes, if it has a good straight body and decent interior buy it. Even if it needs minor work you can make money off of it if you don't want it to keep as an antique. I wouldn't give it a second thought if it's in good conditon and ruset free. You can't buy anything that's running for $500., much less a classic.

·
Premium Member
8,421 Posts
Yes, it is a good deal, and maybe a once in a life time deal.
But...Your gonna need...
Combatspace90 said:
No facilities to park/work on the car
To own a car like this. Take it from me, I just got done spending over a month (and hundreds of dollars) to get an old mustang on the road. The more you work on it, the more problems you find.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
EDIT: It's a '66 not a '65, very little difference though. The only option it came with was an AM radio. There is little chance I'd be able to ever see the 120 hp it originally came with, but I don't plan on making it a full resto either. I have decided to get the car, but the only thing holding me back from paying the guy right now is whether or not my dad would allow me to keep it at the house. On that point, the only other place I could keep/work on it, is in the parking lot of the guy I am buying it from.

Oh and the guy was nice enough to include a free oil change and fuel flush with the purchase of the car. I negotiated 350 as is, or 500 with title, so he'll be looking for the title so he can milk this beater for all its worth...Floor pan is shit, but always is with a 60's stang, and needs to be rplaced/repaired. My co-worker is pretty good at welding so we may just get some sheet steel and tack and weld it in.

This thing will never be a show car, that is for sure, but for the summer (and possibly longer) it could be a nice cruiser or daily driver. It has 50-some odd thousande original miles on it, which is good. All it needs to get moving is a flush and tires. *crosses fingers*

@Fordman: Yes the body is straight, though poorly painted.

@balti: ...no

@jeffscort: that is the main kicker, yes. It's all a matter of juggling the 07 focus that we are turning in soon and whether my dad would mind. The pass. side window needs to be replaced and the driver's door latch needs to be fixed, but otherwise it could be roadworthy with a week or two of very hard work.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Heh... My first Mustang was a '66 200CDI with a Ford-O-Matic.

Spent 2 summers and all my money swapping in a 5-lug suspension from a '67 GT, a 4-spd T-10 and buying all kinds of Clifford goodies for my engine; dual-exhaust headers, cam, cam cover, and a 3-single barrel manifold top. I had to have the top of the intake manifold (cast into the head) machined off and tapped to put on a new manifold top that held 3 Strombergs...

Ah... Good times... I don't know which was more fun, the driver's seat or the back seat.

::m::

Thanks for letting me reminisce.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not a problem balti. When I get pics up, you'll be able to drool over your memories...

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Since the body is good you shouldn't have any trouble getting your money back plus a few dollars to go in your pocket if you ever want to get rid of it. Those old Mustangs in good shape are getting harder and harder to find.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@fordman: yeah, if I don't keep it when I go to college, a co-worker of mine wants to take it and install a blown 5.0...would pay me whatever I put into the car, so I would take no loss.

@jeffscort: yeah, I kinda thought that too, I would need to talk to him about it, but really, until we get rid of the focus there is nowhere to put it...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts