FEOA Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a '95 EGT with close to 147,000 miles on it. It's been mine since new. It's an auto tranny. Recently, a problem has developed after the car's been on the road for a bit. I notice that the tach and the speedometer are not matching where they were before (for example, tach would read 2500 rpm/speedo would read 70 mph). Now, if I'm trying to get the car up to a good cruising speed on the HWY, it's hovering around 3000 rpm at 70 mph. Also, it's after extensive driving that the car is slow to shift into Reverse. The car also doesn't seem to completely downshift when stopped at a light. I hit the gas and you can feel a jump.

Is it a fluid problem, or is it more of a mechanical issue? The optomist side of me is hoping it's just low fluid.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Check your fluid and see if it's low. if it isn't it's probably your clutch that's starting to go.

When I got my new clutch I saw the rpms per speed drop.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
ha james - you're killin' me kid. it's an auto - it doesn't have a clutch.

first thing i'd do is have the tranny flushed at a shop then see what happens. if it's still doing it (pretty good chance it won't, since you didn't mention anything about having it flushed anytime recently, and i'm 95% sure this will fix anything), you probably need a new torque converter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tito, no I haven't had the fluid changed in some time. At lunch, I went down to check the fluid. The car was cold (air temp is at or below freezing). It has sat 5 1/2 hours. The dipstick was covered only at the tip area (It covered the spot that shows temps readings.). Does that mean it's low? The color was an opaque blackish color. I smelled it. It didn't have a "burnt" smell to it. I haven't had the fluid changed in awhile. I really need to do it. This will prompt me to do so.

Thanks for your assistance!

·
Registered
26 Posts
tHE CAR MUST BE RUNNING WITH THE NEGINE FULLY WARMED UP TO CHECK THE TRANS. FLUID CORRECTLY. ALSO, SMELL THE FLUID AND SEE IF IT SMELLS "BURNT"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts