FEOA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Any short shifter is going to be a bit more 'notchy'. It's the nature of the beast, you're changing the ratio of movement. The bottom side is moving farther with every inch of movement from the top of the lever. Simple physics.

If your trans is very notchy, you can expirament with different trans fluids to try to help the synchro's. Some B&M TrickShift, or GM Synchromesh mixed with Mercon V would probably do wonders if your trans shifts hard. I'll be mixing a quart of Redline MTL I have sitting around with Mercon V into my transmission shortly (maybe evne today).

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
I understand what you are saying about leverage points. As Archimedes said "Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world". I attribute notchiness to smooth gear engagement so I don't know why I should expect an improvement. I tried Redline but it didn't help. The notchiness didn't get worse with the new shifter but it didn't get better either. It was the noise I couldn't accept.

·
Registered
169 Posts
EscorGo said:
I understand what you are saying about leverage points. As Archimedes said "Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world". I attribute notchiness to smooth gear engagement so I don't know why I should expect an improvement. I tried Redline but it didn't help. The notchiness didn't get worse with the new shifter but it didn't get better either. It was the noise I couldn't accept.
MTL is fairly thick, and is known to make shifts slightly notchier. What Redline fluid did you use, MTL? I wouldn't recommend a transaxle full of MTL, simple ebcause it's gear oil,a nd not designed for our transaxles, but I'm mixing in a quart of it with Mercon V simply because ATF is a bit thin, and I <3 Redline products, so I think a touch thicker from 1 quart won't hurt.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
kendogg said:
EscorGo said:
MTL is fairly thick, and is known to make shifts slightly notchier. What Redline fluid did you use, MTL? I wouldn't recommend a transaxle full of MTL, simple ebcause it's gear oil,a nd not designed for our transaxles, but I'm mixing in a quart of it with Mercon V simply because ATF is a bit thin, and I <3 Redline products, so I think a touch thicker from 1 quart won't hurt.
It was Redline D4 ATF auto trans fluid. That's what Ford recommends in the 5-speeds. I put a different syth fluid in my 'scort to help my mileage. Redline is pretty pricey.
http://www.redlineoil.com/products_gearlubricants.asp?categoryID=8

·
Registered
169 Posts
Got it. Yes, Ford recommends ATF, but it's a bit thin for long-term protection of the synchro's. It does help them shift easier though. I'll be running Mercon V simply because the original spec was Mercon III, and Mercon V is synthetic ATF from the factory, and superceeds all Mercon III applications.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts