FEOA Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What could cause this to happen? Sometimes it shifts fine and other times It feels like it requires two-three times the effort to get it into gear.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is the best way to check the tranny fluid level? I checked the linkage and didn't see anything out of place. Could old bushings cause a tight feel?

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
You have to pull the speedo gear to check level. CAUTION - some guys have ended up causing a lot of grief by attempting to pull the speedo gear (do a seach and you'll see); I have never had any real problems. On the GT, I think the level has to be just above the top of the nylon gear. On the LX, the level has to be somewhere between the bottom and the top of the nylon gear. It's very important to get the correct level.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Does the linkage make any noise, say when you push the shifter from side to side in nuetral? If so take off your center console and make sure the cup that holds your shifter is secure. If you can see the ground it is not secure. Usualy it just takes a good pull or 3 to get it back into place. This usualy happens from pushing when you put a new shift knob on. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Captain said:
Does the linkage make any noise, say when you push the shifter from side to side in nuetral? If so take off your center console and make sure the cup that holds your shifter is secure. If you can see the ground it is not secure. Usualy it just takes a good pull or 3 to get it back into place. This usualy happens from pushing when you put a new shift knob on. Hope this helps.
Nope... no noise at all, just a resistance to move. It seems to come and go as well. It feels stiff whether the engine is running or not or if I'm sitting still running through the gears or rolling down the road.

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
I'd suggest changing your tranny fluid as opposed to just checking the level. This will give you an opportunity to check the condition of the removed fluid and feel for particles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.