FEOA Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the idea to bolt the support bar that runs from the transmission to the shifter boot to solve the dropped shifter problem [thanks FEAO]. The bar has broke off the ring connecting it to the boot. Does anyone know the purpose for this design [aka:: Will it have a negative effect without it?].

·
Registered
1998 ZX2
10,070 Posts
Yes, you need the bar. That bar is to connect the shifter assembly to the transmission so that the shifter moves with the tranny, that's what the rubber is there to allow. If the shifter assembly doesn't move with the tranny then it is possible for the car to pop out of gear when you floor it or coast in gear. It can also make it difficult to shift.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since its a manual, one hand on the wheel and one on the shifter. Problem solved. Figured out how to fix the dropped shifter boot that's still left. With the bolt that I already put in at the 2 o'clock position, I put in a cane bolt at 7 o'clock. This fixes the shifter from ever dropping again. Ford should have kept the 1st gen design :p

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
VashSpiegel said:
This fixes the shifter from ever dropping again. Ford should have kept the 1st gen design :p
Yeah, on the 2nd gen, that was designed by Mazda. I agree, a def. weak point that is easily addressed. I also have mine bolted up to avoid the drop again.

·
Registered
773 Posts
LOWETGT said:
VashSpiegel said:
This fixes the shifter from ever dropping again. Ford should have kept the 1st gen design :p
Yeah, on the 2nd gen, that was designed by Mazda. I agree, a def. weak point that is easily addressed. I also have mine bolted up to avoid the drop again.
pics please? This just happened during my most recent enduro, and it was pain to keep it in gear with one hand and steer with the other.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.