FEOA Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I was just thinking about why my car gets such crappy mileage and I thought about throwing it in 5 gear whenever possible to see what happens.

But I'm just wondering about where everyone with a manual GT shifts at when not banging through the gears in a race?

I usually shift 1st at around 4500, 2nd at 4500 and then cruise in third for a little bit until about 50-55mph, then I shift into 4th and keep it around 3k rpms. I hardly use 5th when I'm not on the highway.

Anyone with a manual LX Wanna tell me their shift points too it'd be much appreciated as I should be getting a manual LX here for $300 soon from 1-quik-phkr.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TitoElSpicco said:
yes, grandma's get good gas milage.. :) science says, the faster you go, the more gas you burn.

and what movie was wally world in??
No, your science there is completely wrong. I can cruise at 75 mph (3500 rpm in 5th gear) all day and make 27 mpg on 300 miles without the low fuel light coming on. if I drive in the city stop and go, I make at best 21.5 mpg (which is what i just made on my last fill up yesterday) on 249 miles, and the low fuel light will come on and go off every now and then.

The science there is you're at a constant speed thereby using less fuel because the ECU can keep using the same constant amount of fuel. but when you're in stop and go traffic you tend to use more fuel because you have to accelerate, stop, accelerate, stop, accelerate, stop.

Wally world was in that stupid ass national lampoons movie with chevy chase...the one where he's swinging from an electrical wire on the hoover dam... :roll:

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
well yea, duh.. city driving, drag racing, whateva, the faster you go, the more gas you burn,

howeva, it is it exact opposite on the highway. when in 5th gear, you will get BETTER gas milage cruising at a constant 30 then cruising at a constant 65. and your gas mileage will be complete shit if you cruise at 110.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:p Yeah. hehe I bet I could cruise all day at 110 mph and get 25 mpg...well...actually not. I'd get pulled over every 5 minutes and idle for 30 minutes and then my mileage would be shot to hell. Anyway, back to the shift points. anyone else? :lol:

·
Registered
185 Posts
shift at 3000 most of the time. My car moves pretty good driving like
this, and it gets around 30 mpg. Try putting it in 5th more that may
help, my car can go pretty good going slow in 5th. 8) Unless your
racing, I see no point in running my car hard every time I take off. :).

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I've found that the best CITY efficiency for the EGT is shifts around 3200rpm, and cruising with the tach around 2500-3100rpm. You DONT DONT DONT want to run really really low rpms and wide throttle positions. This will get you NO power and dump a ton of gas, making you run really rich. I've found that higher rpms and small throttle positions yield better efficiency then wide throttle positions and low rpms.

Of course, don't coast along at 5500rpm. Keep the needle under 4300rpm, don't accelerate too quickly, coast when you can, keep the throttle as closed as you can.

I get about 27mpg city when I drive fairly agressively.

Suprisingly, when I was cruising through adirondack park at an average speed of 75mph or so (anywhere from 50-90mph), shifting at 5700rpm in pretty much every gear, flooring it in every gear, basically "rallying it" for 50 miles, I still managed to get about 32mpg. Stop and go kills your mpgs. I dunno why.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts